30| First Wave

As night came, so did the noises in the forest that night

As night came, so did the noises in the forest that night. They were fifty miles away from the city, hidden deep within the forest and behind the extensive logs and vines hanging about. Aether declared it was safe for the night until another game plan would be made from under the moonlight. Their group remained a few now and Al-Haitham and Kaveh were gone towards Liyue, apparently, Al-Haitham had a friend down there for shelter. Itto was out and laid on the grassy ground, eyes open as he snored into the open. Qiqi didn't need to sleep but laid her head on Itto's chest as she slept peacefully. Aether standing guard, walking slowly around the perimeter while staring at the forest. Kaeya was watching the other way, sitting on a log beside Itto's head as he stared into the darkness and Diluc taking the first shift of sleeping since he found their dinner and started the fire. 

Their Grace was close to the fire and in or out of sleep. The idea of Levithan taking over Sumeru quickly and using the sages along with the usually peaceful species of Aranara's made his stomach curl. Not even the apple juice Aether made him that early evening settled him. Aranara-Nahida was asleep it seemed. The green creature didn't look up from her slumped form either, as [M/N] stared at the fire as he added more wood to the flame. He had no clue if it was from the noises in the forest or the lack of ideas his brain was making.

We could look him away?

Where would he go stupid? In the grown? Like Azhdaha? Like Osial?

Fine, then we kill him-

Okay, how DO we kill him? Chop him into pieces?

Maybe, I'm the one coming up with the ideas here. You're my brain, you work for me!

And look what happened when you listened to other voices than yourself..

[M/N] sighs to himself as he stared at the fire as it kept eating the wood, he glanced at the firewood pile but saw they were running low and someone would need to get some more. He wouldn't be able to but maybe it was the best that the fire would burn away, away from the sight of others. [M/N] slowly lay on his side, watching the fire before hearing a snap in the distance. He turns his head just as he saw Aether walking toward the sound. 

"Stay here...I'll be back," Aether whispered as he walked toward the sound with his sword out, and [M/N] watched. It was still quiet as minutes flies by with no movement of Aether. There were more sounds in the forest, it was coming closer, and no sign of the traveler. [M/N] watched before noticing a figure beside him, slowly he turns his head to meet her gaze.

"Lord Rukkhadevata?"

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry for failing you my Grace...I couldn't protect Irminsul without killing myself in a physical form...I abandoned Sumeru...my apologies...if I lived...I could've given the people your last words.."

"What's going on...why can I see you?"

"Because....you should wake up...you're dreaming."

"What?"

"You're asleep...wake up."

+++

With that, [M/N] opened his eyes and blinked a few times only to see himself being taken and tried to wiggle around but then noticed the ropes around his arms and legs. His heart beat against his chest harshly as he tried to move or open his mouth. An Erimite bandana in his mouth and kept struggling until he was dropped down on the ground. He groans before shifting to his stomach, sitting up but stopping as the tip of a claymore was pressed against his adam's apple. [M/N] stared at it then slowly looked up and his eyes widen in horror.

Dehya did not look well, her tan-ish hue turning grey and green vines wrapped around her body and down. She could see her veins turning dark blue and wilted flowers covering any skin that showed and weeds growing from her head. Her eyes were empty and her movements were stiff and moved awkwardly. It was creepy but something straight out of a horror movie.

"Our Grace would want to have a meeting with you, drawing you out is a hard job after all." She said, head tilting as she moved. [M/N] grunts as his head hit the dirt ground as Dehya dragged him through the city gates. [M/N] looked up to see a light green seal covering the gates, Sumeru City locked up. He could see the little stores tumbled over, their merchandise all over the floor or broken. [M/N] watched as others like Dehya corrupted watched him, and moved with slumps. Like they weren't themselves and the smell of fire, he could turn his head to see smoke coming from the Balzar.

Everything is ruined because of Levithan and their grunts when they began up the smooth pathway. He looked towards Dehya only to see what was triggering her behavior, a lot of the people's behavior. There was an Aranara attached to her back, its own back connected to hers as its flowers and vines connected to her. Though it looked sickly green, washed out and its eyes glowing white. It didn't even acknowledge him, no thoughts behind the glowing white eyes.

"It's me," Dehya said as she pounds on the door with her metallic arm, and soon the doors are opened by students. They were possessed in the same way, minus the fact they looked to be closer to death, tired even. [M/N] watched them and the doors closed, the other doors on the opening until they reached Nahida's prisoner cell.

[M/N] felt Dehya drop him down and [M/N] lay there before feeling himself lifted up in mid-air, the ropes breaking up and pulling the limbs open and the gag was gone. 

"How wonderful of you to join us." Levithan cooed as he waved his fingers around and [M/N] felt pressure against his throat. 

[M/N] tried looking down only to see Nahida's body laying there, she looked asleep but the knife in her chest. It looked deep too, blood spilling all over the slab too.