Chapter 21 - Frozen over

I saw myself falling through a wormhole, something I'd forgotten the feeling of. It had been a while since I used my original quirk.

Eventually, I hit the ground, and when I looked up, I saw a thick Ice sheet that stretched for miles. Interestingly, the ice wasn't as frictionless as I thought and I could walk around just fine, but there was no building in sight. I continued walking forwards until I saw a crack in the sheet, along with a gas that flew up from it. Observing it closer I saw a layer of water with bubbles that rose to the top, that's when I realized the gas was steam! The water was, in fact, boiling. Afterward, I started noticing that the entire ocean that froze over was actually boiling as well, although the ice wasn't melting. It was at that moment that I remembered that I have to find the exit. There's nothing around me apart from ice and this crack is the one door through, that's when I shuddered that I had to drop in.

I graze my hand on the boiling water quickly and... I didn't feel anything?

I slowly dip it and... I still felt nothing.

I took a deep breath and jumped in.

As I looked up to the surface, the light was getting dimmer and dimmer as I fell into this abyss. The crack from before was now nothing more than a spec to the outside, all I could see were rising bubbles as everything got darker. Interestingly, my eyesight stayed clear, despite being completely submerged.

By now, all the light was drowned out and it was complete darkness.

I don't even know if I'm sinking anymore.

...

...

Am I lost?

Was this the right way?

Maybe I was wrong...

...

Just as I was pondering my decision, I started to see another glow.

I tried to focus my eyes as they got brighter and recognized the color... orange.

As I approached it, more and more bubbles were passing by me. This was the heat source.

Closer and closer, I began to see wavy movements, the lights began to flicker, then I realized. Fire.

It was fire, there was fire underwater, how does this make any sense?

I eventually hit the sandy bottom, and I started to slowly walk to the fire. I came closer and noticed it was spinning, they were turning around a center point. Climbing a boulder I saw a vague shape in the center, it was hard to see it as the flames distorted the view.

I approached the wall of fire and looked up, they reached 5 meters easily and could probably burn any intruder. I hold my hand on my heart. This may be the only exit or a dead end that I get lost in, either way, I'm sure to collapse soon with how long I've been in here. Here it goes!

FWOOSH

The sound was present inside, I managed to get through without suffering anything physical, but... I definitely felt something as I crossed those flames. I can't specify but... I felt dark emotions enter my head there. I'm sure of it.

Was this what Shoto talked about, his father's flames?

Back to the task at hand I looked at the center and saw a clear glacier, after approaching it, I could finally make out something inside. A coffin.

I walked around it until I saw a point of impact, a crack that followed from the ground to the top. I can't figure out the origin, but this was an opportunity.

I placed my hands on each side of the crack and tried to pull them apart.

Crack...

I could hear something! This may be the end!

Craa-

As soon as I broke the ice a little more, the glacier pulsated. Then I got pushed back at insane speeds! I couldn't grab onto anything and I was approaching the flames! I'm gonna get burned! NOOO-

"-OO!?"

"THE CONTESTANTS MOVED AGAIN FOLKS! IT LOOKS LIKE THE BATTLE IS BACK ON TRACK!"

Todoroki wiped his face and stared down at Izumi, "what... did you do?" Izumi stumbled back before another Ice pillar erected from the ground just where she was standing.

Izumi opened her mouth but nothing came out, it was as if her breath had a hard time making a noise.

"I don't know what you did but I can see you're a lot more tired now."

Izumi had to take a deep breath again before she finally spoke, "are those your father's flames?"

"What?"

"The ones attached to your core... they surround you without allowing any escape... are those it?"

"What are you saying!?"

"I saw those... but that's so dumb."

"What?"

"You don't use your other half because it's your father's?"

Todoroki's face tensed up. "None of your business."

"When I saw them, I could tell you that they're nothing like your fathers."

"Shut it!"

"It's your power! Not his! Those flames are yours! They're the ones in your heart!"

Suddenly, those words rang with Todoroki, they resonated with something deep in his heart.

"You don't have to be your father's image! Be yourself!"

The ice inside his soul began to crack and the steam was escaping, the memories long-forgotten bubbling up from down below. They were surfacing and expanding rapidly in his mind.

"You can be what you want to be"

A torrent of flame exploded from the stadium, the temperature in the air shot up drastically, a torch the size of a bonfire was lit.

"TODOROKI HAS USED HIS OTHER SIDE! THIS IS SOMETHING I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE FOLKS!"

On the stage platform, the two teens were both smiling.

"You're helping your opponent... who's the stupid one now?"

"..."

"I'm finishing this"

From the audience's view, the climax had begun. On one side, territorial control covered the stage with ice. On the other, blue stripes revealed the lighting beneath both legs and arms. For almost everyone, a magnificent triumph and show of strength, for one person, an absolute catastrophe and a sign of impending doom.

...

That couldn't be what I actually saw....right?

I'm- kind of shocked myself

This is bad

Those who have quirks really are freaks of nature

H- How do I even compete with that?

Bakugo blasts over 10kg of dynamite and Izumi is about 35% All might

I HAVE A WAY...

...?

IT'S ONLY GOING TO COST YOU A BIT OF SUFFERING

Drugs?

SHUT THE FUCK UP RIGHT NOW.

Ok, ok. You don't have to both yell.

What is it?

I'LL SAVE IT FOR THE GYM TOMORROW...