Chapter 49 - Last chains

Bakugo and Izumi stood frozen at the sight in front of them, a sight they couldn't believe was real. Fis- Izuku slowly approached them from the ice, his hands glistening from all the shards.

POW

Izuku dashed forward and hit Todoroki, Bakugo, and Izumi couldn't even tell he was attacking. Todoroki was the only one that had no idea what was going on, and Izuku wanted to make sure he stayed out of it. Izumi tried to get up, try to stand with any energy needed for a fight, but she couldn't. Her knees were shaking and so was her heart, the truth of Izuku... it's too much. She could only helplessly watch as Izuku approached her and held her by the neck. "How are you?" Izuku muttered with a soft voice, "Do you feel successful?" Whether it was because he gripped her neck or the emotions swirling in her mind, she couldn't answer. "TELL ME!" Izuku yelled, running towards the wall, "ANSWER ME!" he roared while pinning Izumi to the wall. Izumi tried again to speak, but all that came out were sounds of shortness of breath. Izuku grunted loudly, pulled Izumi back off the wall, and then smashed her through it. Out into the moonlight, he whispered again, "How does it feel to see a face that you abandoned? Staring back from the grave?" Izuku still waited for an answer, any answer, but nothing came out of her apart from soft weeps.

*BOOM*

Oh? It seems that Bakugo managed to move his body, catapulted towards Izuku, and detonated an explosion, not in his face, but just close enough to grab his attention. Izuku dropped Izumi to the ground, facing Bakugo with a grin on his face. "If you wondered why your explosions didn't affect me, well here is your answer" A cold shiver ran down Bakugo's spine as Izuku cracked his knuckles as he walked towards him. "Come on, you wanna fight me right?! THEN COME AT ME!" he yelled charging forwards. Bakugo instinctively propelled himself upwards and began moving around Izuku, trying to think of a method to beat him. He could try to buy time until the upperclassmen are back, but who knows what Izuku might do in the meantime? He couldn't try to understand him, he was completely different from ever before. The moment he could see his eyes, he couldn't stop the last memory of him resurfacing, that sight of him cowering on the ground with burn marks everywhere. Bakugo's hands began to shiver, for once he wasn't as confident as usual.

That was because of me...

I... did that-*wooosh*

Just by an inch, Izuku missed an attack. Bakugo wasn't thinking clearly, time was slowing down for him and he didn't know why. Only by instinct, his arm moved directly toward the ground to propel himself in the air, but at the same time, Izuku was right under it.

At first, he only saw his attack coming on down him, the yellow flash followed by the black smoke. Then, he felt the propulsion of the quirk, the slight resistance in his hand brought on by the displacement of air. Next came the heat, the warm impulse covering his hands before the thermal insulating layer on his gloves reflected it. Finally, the sound. Thought to come after the propulsion but it comes much later, with the loud unforgettable boom reaching both of his ears. This was the process of every explosion he ever manifested with his quirk, and it was always fast. Yet, Bakugo could picture it perfectly in that instance. Every step, every effect he would inflict on others, the light, the force, the burn, the sound, all of it became clear.

*grab*

Before Bakugo could blink, before the explosion finished, through the hot red gas that enveloped the spherical area under his hand, an arm reached out. It was covered in trails of smoke and orange spots of exothermic heat, reaching high and higher until it caught Bakugo's wrist. As time passed a little faster, the cloud dissipated and Izuku's face could be seen. Not a grin on his face apart from a slight curvature of his lips to the right, his eyes were wide open as they reflected a slight yellow glow.

"You're still the same"

Bakugo's world darkened, the ineffectiveness of his quirk had been shown already, but this was different. Throughout his life he was the same, going to UA, becoming a pseudo-hero, earning the friendships of the successor of All Might, saving lives, beating villains, all of it meant nothing to form change in his heart. He was the same, the same as always, just like kindergarten, just like middle school, someone who pushed someone else to the edge.

POW

And now, with the intense pain spreading from his chest, he looked back at Izuku one last time. He could see his devilish grin, his cockiness, it was just like him. Maybe he really was back from the dead, a specter dispensing revenge and breaking their ribs.

And it got darker.

...

After Bakugo was knocked out for good, Izuku counted the last person on his bucket list, the last obstacle.

"In the end, he couldn't say a word. Hah... might as well, I'm not the Izuku he knows. Yet, it seems you desperately want a conversation, Izumi?"

Izuku turned around and stared back at the grounds where he left Izumi to wallow in her grief. There she stood, still wallowing with tears streaking down her eyes, shaking all over. "I'll- I'll fight you... br- brot- brother..." Izuku laughed at her struggle, how could someone have such difficulties with simple speech? Of course, this meant so- so much more to him than her, this was the plight for his salvation. This would surely be enough to get rid of Red,

right? Red?

...

You can answer you know, Izumi over there will be your free punching bag.

...

Wait! Are you-

RED!!?!

No... No.... I can't be...

"I'M FINALLY FREE!"

"I'VE RID MYSELF OF THOSE ANNOYING DESIRES! AHAHAHAAAAAAH!"

Now! Izumi is the last bastion, the last part. Izuku had waited patiently as soon as he noticed that Green began fading, never calling attention to it and leaving nature to run its course. So was the same with Red, and now he was finally gone too. This is it. This is truly nearing the culmination of all his efforts, the reaping of the hatreds he sowed.

Izumi doesn't stand a chance. Nothing is holding him back, he will follow through with anything to reach his goal.