Chapter 23 - A name for themselves

Izumi POV

"Anyway, I've brought Midnight here to evaluate your hero names." The tall heroine winked before announcing "You've got 15 minutes! Make it count!"

By then, most of the class presented, all that was left was me and Katsuki. I was first up and after standing at the lectern, I lifted my whiteboard, "魂嵐? Soulstorm?" I nodded. "Mhm... sibilance, homophone... Mhm..." The anticipation made me sweat, but then after 20 seconds she said "I approve!" I breathed a sigh of relief and went back to my seat, Katsuki got rejected a third time.

"Right then, next up is your field training at your internships. Those who got nominations will have a list to choose from, so look at the location and make your choice. Those who didn't get any will get another list of 40-some agencies that will accept UA students." Aizawa then handed out the lists to everyone and then went to Katsuki and Kirishima.

I was curious about their conversation so I eavesdropped a little, "You boys remember the concert I told you off for playing on your phone a week ago?" "Yeah?" Katsuki said, confused. "What was that band?" "They're called Soul metal, why?" "Oh sorry I have to put it in principals Nezu's recognition system so that it disables automatically." "WHAT? Do you have microphones everywhere or something?!" Aizawa smirked, I didn't see it but it was audible. Katsuki let out a huge sigh afterward.

A bit later in the day, I went to visit dad in his break room, and after a brief discussion, he handed me an address saying that I should go there for my field training. As well as that, he warned me that the trainer knew about One For All and our family's "situation." After that terrifying remark, it was only a matter of time before I arrived at this... apartment?

I slowly opened the door, "H- Hello?"

Suddenly I screamed, a pool of blood was in front of me, my head started to hurt, the blood was too familiar.

He's dead

"No..."

He's dead

The visions were real, at the foot of the puddle was... was... a puff of green hair.

You killed him

"No...!"

He's dead, He's dead, He's dead, He's-

"MISS, BREATHE!"

I snapped back to reality, I was hyperventilating. "Slowly now, in, out, in, out-" I followed along diligently, and slowly I began to calm down.

"I didn't expect ketchup would give you a panic attack, I apologize for dropping my meal- heh heh." The man gave me a chair to sit on, "Now, who are you?"

"I'm Izumi Yagi, from UA."

"Izumi? I don't recall nominating an Izumi..."

"..."

"Ah! Toshinori! Now I remember."

The small man then pointed at me, "Fight me!"

"Excuse me?" "I said fight me! I want to see how you are with One For All." A couple of minutes later I put on my hero costume, "Are you sure?" In an instant, he flew from the ground to instantly kicking me in the back. "I warn you that I was a pro Hero once, call me Gran Torino!"

The next 20 minutes was a cat-and-mouse chase where I just looked like I was flailing around while Gran Torino kept kicking me. I only had one moment where I almost hit him but he just pushed my arm out of the way! As I stood there, out of breath, he just began to mock me, "Is this what the successor the symbol of peace has? How disappointing!" I sighed.

This is going to be a long training session.

Izuku POV

Ever since the sports festival, I've grown to rely more and more on Red to do the heavy lifting, both in the gym and at work. He's the only one who can power through pretty much any pain and basically condense our muscles to iron. The thing is that it actually works. I've noticed myself moving faster, the patrols I would do now only last a couple of hours.

*BANG*

I immediately turned to where I heard the gunshot.

I crossed two buildings before I immediately stopped in front of a rising pillar of smoke. I looked down to see a villain with a revolver in hand, in front of him was a bleeding corpse of a man. "I AIN'T PLAYIN' NOW GIVE ME THE MONEY!" he yelled out to another group of men that was to his left, they stood terrified.

There is a dumpster you can drop behind just to your right

I dropped down and then by quickly grabbing an escape ladder that was to the side, I hit the floor unnoticed.

Sideways karate chop to the lower half of his neck.

"C'MON! C'MON! PUT OUT YOUR WALLETS!" he kept yelling. I sneakily moved him while he fixated on the front. Slowly... Slowly... "cocky bastard."

*BANG*

A hit, he noticed me and shot me straight in my chest. "You hero bastards always sneak up from behind, don't think I came out of jail not learning anything!"

He's got a third eye behind that hair

*BANG* *BANG*

I dodged one of those shots while the other hit my right leg, so far he didn't penetrate any armor. I need to keep retreating to buy more time.

Those must be 9mm

How did that man die then?

Might be a part of a quirk

By this point I managed to signal the group from before to leave the dang alleyway, now at this point, I can focus on the villain. "Slippery bastard!" 6 more shots that all missed rang through the alleyway.

Now that the coast is clear, it's time to finish this.

I immediately started running forwards, the villain didn't seem too surprised until I started moving faster than he thought. "STAY BACK!" He loaded another magazine as I closed now half the distance between us.

*BANG*

Louder. That was a new bullet he fired, much larger than before.

There is your answer

He began to panic more as I approached, but he finished his magazine without hitting a single bullet. Soon enough I was within arm's reach, and by then, it was one chop to the neck.

Good job, you did well apart from those three bullets you let hit you

HEY! I was trying my best here!

Do I smell smoke?

As soon as I noticed red, I also realized the familiar smell of carbon in the air. I jumped back out to the top of the building. "Oh my god" I could see in the nearby city of Hosu, a pillar of smoke rose.

You've got your next destination

Alright I'll head there now