04: Fine Girl

She got home and freshened up when her mom came into her room to see her on her phone.

"This phone that your father got you, you better not get used to it ohh and don't go de look for wetin no loss oh." Her mother, Ruth, said.

"Ehn." She said, nodding disinterestedly.

"Ejiro," Ruth called after her, that was her Urhobo name, since her mother was Urhobo, she had given her an Urhobo name.

"Ma?"

"Ejiroghene..."

"Yes, ma"

"Ejiro, Ejiro, Ejiro."

"Maaaaa?"

"How many times did I call you?"

"Five times."

Ruth nodded and sighed, "Blessing will be living with us from next week, for a month or two I guess. She'll be staying in your room, do not listen to her ohh. Keep your eye open ohh." She said, dragging her right ear, "if she gives you any bad advice, don't listen to her, don't let her influence you."

"I know."

"You better know ohhhh, I don't want any type of boyfriend in your life. After university, you can find husband but for now, focus on your education."

"Yes ma."

"So how was the tutoring today?"

"It was fine. I taught him the English, he understood some but we will continue with the others tomorrow. He taught me Mathematics too." She said, adjusting to make herself comfortable on the bed.

"Did he try anything with you?" Sandra paused, reminiscing everything that happened but she remembered when he said, it wouldn't escalate.

"No, he didn't."

"How much is the pay?"

"Ten thousand."

"When will he pay you?"

"After the term."

"That's good. This is how to start making money."

"I know mummy," she discreetly rolled her eyes but made sure Ruth didn't see her so she wouldn't be slapped to death, "I used to do it."
...

They had a mother-daughter gist for a while before seperating.
...

After school, Sandra met with Greg again for the lessons but this time, she kept her distance and avoided any unnecessary touches and Greg didn't say anything about it.

"Is this correct?" He asked, handing her the notebook he answered the questions on.

She took a glance and turned to him, he had written, 'you are avoiding me.' on the book.

"It doesn't matter." She said.

"I'm sorry if what happened yesterday made you uncomfortable. It won't happen again, I won't try to touch you without your permission."

She nodded, "let's get back to work, that outside the subject. Answer the question."

"Why did they bring language like this sef, this language is too confusing. Everybody should just speak Yoruba, that one is easy." He said and she turned to him with a glare.

"Is only Yoruba that exist abi? Ibo is easier than Yoruba." She said.

"Is only 'mechonu' that I understand in that you people language." He said.

Mechonu: shut up! (If I didn't spell it well please correct me. I fi speak language but I no know how to spell am.)

"So mechonu and have sense, Yoruba people with their language."