Chapter Eighteen

[REAL LIFE]

Wilbur buys her ticket for her, slipping the guy his card before Clara can even blink. She harumphs about it for a moment but blushes anyway. Taking her hand in his, he leads them all to a set of four seats on the boat, sun beginning to set, buttery yellows leaking onto the water.

"I'm going to film again just letting you all know," Tommy says, pulling out his phone as they start moving.

"Wait should I be acting like... sick?" Wilbur ponders.

"I've got an idea!" Clara reaches into her jacket pocket and pulls out a pack of kleenex, slipping one out to pass to Wilbur. "Rip it in half and put one in each nostril. You've got a bloody nose."

"Genius!"

Wilbur takes the tissue and slides down his mask, fitting the delicate paper into his nose.

"Wow I genuinely was expecting this boat to be way full," Clara says aloud, looking at the dozens of empty seats around them.

"Yeah, it's really not-oh God look at the sunset man!" Tommy pans his phone to the sunset. "I sure hope we don't drown."

"Well, are you planning to go for a dive?" Clara snorts.

"-that would be the real problem wouldn't-"

"-that wouldn't be good," George adds, from his seat right next to Tommy.

"-god gogy, you look stunning in this lighting!"

The sun hits George's eyes just right, making his face look radiant.

"Is it the golden hour?"

"It's the golden hour. Can you get me in the golden hour?" Tommy hands off the camera to George, and then scoots closer to the window next to him, slapping his arms against it like he's a bug.

Clara nestles her head further into Wilbur's shoulder and rubs his arm gently. Still playing up the whole 'injured' show, Wilbur just sneaks an adoring look at her.

"Wow yeah, it does work! Actually, don't include that it's kinda weird," George giggles about the implication that Tommy looks stunning.

"That's not weird, it's a felony georgio."

"Fine okay, Tommy in golden hour, and I am just not gonna comment on your-"

"Why? George you're allowed to say y-it doesn't-it don't make you a wrongun, George, you just say it."

"I mean... I uh..."

"I supposed you'll get fined for it."

George shifts the camera to Wilbur for a moment, who has one arm around Clara's shoulders and another holding his temple in mock pain.

"Look! God look at the water!"
"Just look outside!"

"Think about how many sharks are in that ocean," Tommy states, getting up close and personal with the lens.

George sighs before deciding to play along. "There-there's-this ocean is just full of sharks!"

"This ocean is poggers!"

"There's just-so many sharks out there!"

"You're doing that thing where you lie again."

Clara guffaws, hiding her face in Wil's shoulder.

George and Tommy keep goofing around, saying inspirational things in front of the sun. Clara looks up at Wil, who breaks character to meet her eyes.

"I'm really glad I came," Clara says, holding eye contact.