Chapter Fifty-Seven

[REAL LIFE]

"Around twenty-nine weeks," Millie answers, rubbing a hand over her bulging belly. Charlie puts his hand over hers, smiling at her sweetly. "I can barely fit into anything anymore."

"But you're still as beautiful as ever." Charlie plants a kiss on her cheek and she giggles.

Charlie, Millie, Wilbur, and Clara are all out for lunch, meeting in Brighton since Clara has slept over at Wilbur's the night prior.

Wilbur bites into his burger, chewing carefully. "They always say pregnant women have this... glow about them. I didn't really believe it but... yeah you certainly are aglow."

"It's the morning sickness," Millie jokes.

"Yeah she's supposed to be on bed rest but the doc gave us permission to go grab lunch sometimes so that Millie doesn't go totally bonkers," Charlie explains, reaching across the table to steal a fry from Clara's plate.

"Oh, that's so important. Since I spend a lot of my time filming videos or working in the studio, I always have to make sure I take some time outside. Otherwise, I go stir crazy." Wilbur nods in agreement.

"See, but there are some days where I just can't go outside, y'know? Like I don't feel like putting on my makeup and putting on decent clothes. I just want to lay in bed and decompose." Clara says, sipping her drink.

"Well, you can go outside without all that, love, and you'll still look phenomenal." It's Wilbur's turn to lay on the compliments as he wraps his arm around his girlfriend, making her smirk at him.

"Oh I know all that, but thanks for the reminder, darling. But I wear makeup for myself usually. I hate going outside without it like I just feel bare sometimes. Feels like I'm not being me if I don't look as good as I can. I don't know, maybe I'm strange."

"No that makes sense. Like I love seeing myself with some mascara on, but is the motivation there? Nope." Millie adds.

Wilbur perks up, ready to add his piece. "Well, motivation is the most important thing. I love music, and I love playing with the band, but if I wake up and I really don't feel it, then there's not even a point in me leaving the house. I'll just feel shitty no matter what since I know that I'm not doing as well as I could be."

"Exactly."

"It's the same for jewelry making! I mean, I feel like if I'm not feeling it, then those gem set pliers just aren't getting picked up. Some days, it's as if they're glued to the desk." Clara responds.

"What do you guys do when you feel this way?" Charlie inquires.

"Usually I lay around. Let myself recharge. And if that doesn't work, I take small steps, get myself moving just a little bit in order to get productive."

Wilbur nods. "For me, if I have stuff to do and I'm just sitting around, I feel guilty. It's not even satisfying to rest because I feel too bad. Then I end up dragging myself up, and whatever work I do ends up half-assed. What about you, Millie?"

"Well, I'm pregnant. I'm allowed to sit around."

"Next time I lose motivation, I'll try your thing," Wilbur jests, making Clara snort.

"Oh, men could definitely not handle this process."

"What?" Both Charlie and Wilbur exclaim.

"She's right! You guys are weak. I've read about women who didn't go to the hospital for appendicitis because they thought it was period cramps," Clara tells them, agreeing quickly with Millie.

"Wha-bu-uh, yeah men are weak," Charlie says, giving in.

"Yeah, you're right." Wilbur nods his head.

With a content sigh, Clara slips out from underneath Wilbur's arm. "I'm gonna run to the toilet really quick."

For a moment, fear flashes through Wilbur. She's abandoning him with her protective older brother, who could probably kick his ass. Sure, Wilbur is taller. But Charlie definitely has the spunk.

Clara's gone, so Wilbur has no choice but to meet Charlie's eyes, which look evil and uncaring.

"So I heard about that stunt you pulled after your first date with my sister," Charlie begins, making Wilbur gulp. "Not cool."

"Oh, uh-I know that! I just uh... got scared. But I regretted it the entire time, and I'm so grateful that Clara was understanding. I apologized over and over again. I'm aware I royally fucked up." Wilbur rambles, attempting to get Charlie to like him.

"Good. Because that can't happen again."

Wilbur freezes.

"My sister is a treasure. And you are not fucking her up. She's been through some shit in her life, and you don't want to be added to my list, so you better keep yourself pulled together."

Millie places a gentle hand on Charlie's arm, and Wilbur can see the fired-up man visibly relax. "Now Wilbur, we're not worried. We can tell you really love her."

There's that word again. Four simple letters that have so much of an impact. A dull ache throbs in Wilbur's stomach.

Charlie nods. "Yes. We can see that clearly. I mean you two are obviously obsessed with each other, you obviously are head over heels, cringy Disney couple in love, but that doesn't mean that you're off the hook. We all make mistakes in life, but losing Clara would be your biggest one."

"We're not trying to scare you or anything." Millie glances at Charlie for a moment, knowing that Charlie is very clearly trying to scare Wilbur. "It's just... we really love Clara. And we know you do too. We just want the best for her."

The best. The best for Clara. They just want the best for Clara. Is Wilbur the best for Clara? Sweat dribbles down Wilbur's temple.

"Hey, I'm back!" Clara calls, settling back against Wilbur's stiff arm that has gone cold. "What'd you guys talk about?"

"Oh, nothing too important," Charlie answers casually.

Wilbur says nothing.

✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

The sweat has spread to his whole body. He wonders if when Clara kissed him goodbye, she could feel the wetness through his shirt. He wonders if she is stuck against his chest.

When they bid farewell, his body was grounded but his mind was elsewhere, flying at a million miles a minute. His thoughts were and still are travelling at the speed of light.

He thinks she told him she'd see him soon. He thinks she reminded him that it's their three-monthiversary tomorrow, June 28th. He thinks he reminded her of their big dinner after she gets home from her afternoon shift at the cafe. He can't quite remember though.

Wilbur pulls at the collar of his shirt. Everything is too hot, too hot. It's pushing and pulling and eating him inside and he doesn't know what to do.

He's falling down a deep dark hole. And he doesn't see a bottom.

REZZINA SPEAKS...

yep. get ready folks. the next chapter wont be pretty. but now wilbur has met the whole fam! getting pretty... serious... OH NO! I've said too much about the increasing intensity of their relationship. you have to be careful now, otherwise, wilbur will run off again. unless... he already has. WHO KNOWS? you will know on Tuesday. anyways I cannot believe that I'm close to 100K. the journey to get here as been amazing, and I'm so grateful for all of your support. i love you so so much. 3 chapters and an epilogue until the end of primadonna girl. LOVE YOU AND SEE YOU TUESDAY