Chapter Twenty-Two

[REAL LIFE]

Clara pours the hot water into a teacup, teabag immediately releasing its flavors, turning the water brown.

"Will that be all ma'am? Okay perfect, your total is £3.40." Alastair's voice is deep and rumbly as he enters the information into the machine. "Please tap your card."

The lady at the counter follows instructions and the two wait for it to go through.

Meanwhile, Clara picks up the teacup and places it on a little plate, along with a teaspoon.

"Earl grey for Somayah?" A girl who looks to be in her early twenties comes and picks up the tea, smiling gratefully at Clara.

"Thanks. I need the caffeine for my essay."

Clara smiles. "Oh yeah, that's a good reason. Good luck with your essay!" Somayah grins at Clara before picking up her tea and returning to her seat.

"Please pick up your drink over there. Have a nice day." It's almost comical the way he says that with virtually no emotion. Alastair directs the lady to the left and then hands the receipt to Clara so that she can see the exact order for herself.

"A lot of tea orders today."

"Well it's getting late, nobody wants coffee," Alastair says, hanging out by Clara since there's nobody else ordering. The cafe is pretty empty, just Somayah and an old man hanging out.

"To be fair, it's Friday night. I bet people have better things to do."

"Yeah except us. We're here working."

"Mm." Clara just nods her head, distracted by making the lady's de-caffeinated berry tea to-go.

Alastair clears his throat.

"Well, hey, I was wondering-"

"Berrylicious Beverage for... Katie!" Clara sets the drink on the counter, and the lady takes her to-go cup and heads out. She turns back to Alastair, checking her watch. "Sorry, I interrupted you, go ahead."

"Yeah it's fine, I just-"

"God I'm sorry again, I just remembered." Clara smiles apologetically but continues. "You know you're closing for me today right? I mean, I did remember to ask you to do me that favour, didn't I?

"What? Oh yeah of course! Yeah, I got your back."

"Okay perfect, perfect. I really appreciate it. Seriously, last time interrupting go ahead." She gestures for him to talk.

"Mhm, well I wanted to ask-"

His usually gruff voice sounds vulnerable and nervous. He scratches the back of his head, biting his cheek. But Clara notices none of those things, as her eyes shoot to the door when the bell dings. She catches the sight of fluffy brown hair and breaks into a grin. Alastair sees her diverted attention and looks behind him.

"What is it?"

She doesn't respond as she steps out from behind the counter, going to greet the boy meeting her. He opens his arms wide for a hug, a matching smile adorning his face. Clara hugs Wilbur around his neck, pulling him slightly down to meet her. His arms wrap tightly around her face, holding her tight within the confines of his puffy coat.

Unlike the very first hug they shared, this one is more gentle, both relishing in seeing each other for a second time.

"Hi, darling," she smiles up at him softly once they pull away from their hug. Thinking about it for a moment before just going for it, she plants a delicate kiss on his cheek. It makes him beam brightly.

Clara pulls back to see his outfit and her cheeks heat. He's wearing a black collared shirt and matching slacks, hair tousled perfectly, as he smiles at her with that intoxicating look in his eyes.

"You look smart." She says. "And hot. You also look hot."

He smirks deviously.

"You ready for our date, mademoiselle?"

"Of course, good sir. Let me just change out of my work clothes."

"Why, you look gorgeous?"

"Oh I know, but it gets better." She winks at him and he shakes his head, chuckling softly.

"I can't wait to see how."

Alastair awkwardly steps out from behind the counter, trying to hide the disappointment on his face.

"I-Is this your boyfriend, Clara?"

"In due time," Wilbur answers for her. She nudges him softly.

"Cheeky bastard," she scolds jokingly, pretending as if her comment didn't make her heart beat ten times faster.

"Go on and change."

"Alright alright."

Clara disappears to the back, hiding in the corner to change. Alastair awkwardly stands next to Wilbur out front.

"Um, hey."

"Hey," Wilbur clears his throat. "So, you a coworker?"

"Yeah... I'm Alastair."

"Wilbur," he sticks out a hand and Alastair shakes it smoothly, elaborate tattoo visible as it snakes up from his middle finger to his shoulder.

Neither of them makes an effort to say anything else. Luckily, Somayah comes up to the counter to save them.

"Excuse me, sorry?"

Alastair scurries back from whence he came, to serve her.

"Yes?"

Wilbur pulls out his phone and leans against a pillar in the cafe, scrolling through his two-hundred messages from Tommy in the past ten minutes.

Clara takes a deep breath, and checks her makeup in her phone camera, reapplying her soft pink lipstick. She pops her lips before stacking her apron on top of her jeans and t-shirt. She'd get them tomorrow. Setting her uggs by the table, she throws on nicer shoes and her tights. Grabbing her coat from where it lays, as well as her phone, she steps back out.

"Well?"

Wilbur looks up at the sound of her voice, and his jaw drops. She's adorned in a red bustier mini-dress with sheer sleeves. It's still a little chilly, so she's put on thin tights that match her skin tone, along with black platform pumps with an ankle strap.

"Wow-you look-wow." He struggles to form words, unable to string together how beautiful she truly appears. "Seriously. Can't even fathom the fact that it's me you picked to take you out tonight."

"I wouldn't rather be with anyone else." She turns around to wave goodbye to Alastair, who also has to pick his jaw up off the floor before she catches him ogling. "Thank you so much for closing tonight, I owe you."

"Y-yep!" He stutters out, before looking down at his hands.

Wilbur wraps an arm around Clara's shoulders, and pulls her close, bending to kiss the top of her hair gently.

"Stunning, love. Really." He whispers, making her giggle.

"Let's get going, darling. There's time for more compliments at dinner."

REZZINA SPEAKS...

sorry Alastair bbg. "rezzinaaa why the short chapter why must you do this us???" well I have three full days of intensive exams coming up and the devil of disease has overtaken my body. also next chapter is the date and its 5000+ words, longest yet. just hang tight until Tuesday okay, I got you. glad you liked the spa-day chapter btw, I thought it was funny. love all of you and tune in tuesday! wish me luck for my exams