Chapter Twenty-Five

[REAL LIFE]

"Heyyy!" Salem pulls Clara into a tight hug upon opening the door.

It's the day of their weekly lunches, but Clara got pulled into a shift, and Salem had a last-minute car commercial, so instead the two girls are meeting at Salem's flat in the Lucerne Mews. Clara took the tube over, and they're settling in for a night of binging Shadow and Bone, a show that came out six days ago but neither had had a chance to watch. They both read the books and were excited to see what Netflix pulled together.

Clara's face shifts to a frown after seeing Clara's outfit.

"I thought we were gonna look all ugly for girl's night!"

"What do you mean, I'm decrepit?" Salem questions.

"You're in a juicy couture sweatsuit!" Clara points out, making Salem look down.

"Not my fault I look banging in every fucking outfit, take it up with the jury." Salem lets Clara in, and Clara takes her shoes off at the door, slipping inside.

She immediately heads to the dark green sofa, plopping down and curling up into a tight ball, groaning in contentment.

"I love your flat so much."

"Well then come by more often, I'm tired of seeing George around."

"God don't get me started. I had a girl's night with him last week, he's such a baby. I think my ears are still ringing from when I ripped off the peel-off face mask."

"Typical man."

"He was able to admit that his skin is glowing though, so at least there's that."

Salem bustles around in the kitchen for a moment before joining her friend, handing her a mason jar mug that matches her own. The mugs were filled with a blood-orange-coloured liquid, and Clara took an eager sip from the straw. Perfect at-home Tiki Death Punch. They both have work the next day but who really cares? This is girl's night. Salem sits down next to Clara, putting her feet up on the coffee table.

"Sooo I think someone went on her first date in years last week," Salem brings up.

Of course, they facetimed and talked it out directly afterward, and Clara ranted to her best friend during the whole ghosting incident, but now that it's been six days since that very date, Salem wants confirmation of her friend's feelings.

"Tell me absolutely everything."

"We already discussed it!"

"So? Maybe your feelings have changed, I don't know. You've had more time to process and more time to think. Will there be a second date, Ms. Oakworth?"

"Well, I-"

The front door flies open, and a head of ginger hair comes careening in.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!"

"Hey, Ollie!" Salem calls out, and Clara gives the girl a wave and a smile.

"Hey, hi, hello, sorry got to go I'm late, late, late!" Ollie pulls her coat off rapidly, sitting down on the corner of the couch to take off her heels.

Oliva Lawton is Salem's gorgeous roommate. She's an intern at some important marketing agency, and she's usually on time.

"My boss kept me around longer than normal. God, I-I can't get this shoe off!"

"Okay, Ollie calm down, it's going to be okay!" Salem tries to calm the girl down but she doesn't slow in her movements, still hurrying.

"Shit!" The ginger curses. "Malakai is supposed to be here in two minutes! I told him to be a little late, but when he shows up, gaslight him into thinking he's early. I have to go get ready. Hey, 'lara good to see you!" Ollie gets up and disappears into her bedroom, most likely scurrying to her ensuite.