Chapter Forty-Three

[REAL LIFE]

"Alton Towersss!" Tommy is practically bouncing up and down in his seat.

Clara stifles a smile at his excitement, looking over at Wilbur, who's driving the group. His journey has been a total of almost four hours. He came from Brighton to pick up Clara, and the two were alone for about an hour and a half before they picked up Tommy and Russ. Phil, being in the complete opposite direction, opted to drive himself.

"He's like a kid ain't he?" Russ says, clearly amused. It's laughable to see this man older than everyone in the car, stuck in the back seat with seventeen-year-old Tommyinnit.

"Exactly Big Russ," Wilbur validates, smiling.

"All he needs to say is-" Clara says before getting cut off by Tommy.

"Are we there yet?"

Collectively all the adults in the car sigh.

"No," Wilbur replies pointedly. "Five more minutes."

Tommy groans. "Wilburrrr."

"Tommyyyy."

"You're being a puss."

"A what?"

"A great big puss, Wilbur." There's silence. "Well, anyways are we clear on the bit?"

"Yeah, Clara and I be your wing-people and call Elodie, aka a girl you like at college, and ask her what ride is her favourite. Elodie says 'The Smiler', the scariest one here, and then the entire video builds to that."

Clara nods, confirming what Wilbur has just said.

"Alright good," Tommy says sternly. The way he flips from a whiny kid to a put-together businessman is ridiculous to Clara. She admires him for it. "And Big Russ kind of just lingers in the back the whole time, yes?"

Russ flashes Tommy a thumbs up.

"Y'know I love rollercoasters. Especially the crazy ones that like are just a circle and then you dangle upside down completely still for like a minute straight." Clara says excitedly.

Tommy's jaw drops open and he looks horror-stricken. Then he looks at Wilbur.

"Dump her."

Wilbur laughs loudly and Clara snorts.

"Not a chance," Wilbur says, taking Clara's hand, moving his own from its previous spot on her thigh.

Clara giggles again and Tommy huffs, turning to look out the window.

✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

"Phil!" Tommy shouts, sprinting up to the man to give him a hug. Phil returns it with a chuckle, as the rest of the group trails behind Tommy.

"Hey Philll," Wilbur says, also giving the man a hug.

"Pleasure to finally meet you in person!" Clara smiles, hesitating before Phil pulls her into a warm hug as well, the entire experience feeling father-daughter.

"Pleasure to meet you as well mate. It's time I met my daughter-in-law." Phil jokes, eliciting a snort from Wilbur and a nose scrunch from Tommy. "Ayup Russ."

"Ayup Phil." They do that bro hug thing where they slap hands and clap each other on the back.

"So. Who's ready to film a vlog?" Tommy rubs his hands together deviously.