Chapter Thirty-Eight

[REAL LIFE]

"You're a stupid idiot you know that?" Clara says lightly, shaking her head disapprovingly as she feels Wilbur's forehead.

It's two days after Wilbur spontaneously showed up at her house. One day since Clara started being able to get out of bed. And it's that Friday morning that Wilbur wakes up weak.

"No regrets," Wilbur rasps out, before coughing violently, whole body shaking. At least he managed to give Clara her birthday present in the brief period when both of them felt mildly okay.

"Here's the real gift," Wilbur says nervously, handing her another large bag that contains two gifts of different sizes and a card.

"What, other than your company?" Clara smirks, taking the bag. She takes out the card first to be polite, and opens it, reading carefully.

For a while, Wilbur struggled with what to say in the card, as there were too many emotions that he simply couldn't put into words. But then, like song lyrics, they came to him.

Dear Clara,

Hi love. Honestly, I really don't know what to say. How can I express how much you mean to me? Well, think of it like this. Imagine you've lived your whole life blind. You adapt to it, you live with it, and you find peace with it. One day, you watch one of your friend's streams, and an unexpected guest joins, screaming about strawberry laces. After speaking to this guest for a while, after they've become more than a guest, more than just a new friend, miraculously, you're no longer blind. Sure, you've been able to find happiness blind. But until you can see, you didn't know what you were missing.

It's sappy and horrible and would make me cringe if I wasn't the one feeling all these things, but it's honestly as if you have unlocked a part of me that I didn't know I was missing. I am happiest with you, and I don't think that will ever change.

Happy birthday, love. Thank you for existing, thank you for coming into my life, thank you for giving me the honor of knowing you.

Yours,

Wil <3

When she finishes reading, Clara looks up at Wilbur, who's looking at her expectantly, waiting anxiously for a reaction. All she does is pull him into a tight hug, whispering a thank you into his neck. She pulls back before leaning back in, catching his lips fervently.

The contact makes both their hearts pound, hammering together in the perfect symphony they've both been craving without even realizing it, complete together more than they ever have been apart.

They only separate so that Clara can look at the actual presents Wilbur's gotten her.

The first and largest is a vinyl. It makes Clara gasp. She had told him a while ago that she didn't have a record player, but wanted a few vinyls for her wall. But vinyls were expensive so she wasn't sure if it was worth it. Now, she's holding the official Are You Alright vinyl. And she discovers the best part when she flips over the package to check the song list. Wilbur has crossed out Cause for Concern and written "Clara's Song <3", making the girl blush and giggle warmly. Her laughter makes Wilbur's heart expand, beating faster than before.

The second is a gorgeous, subtle yet chic, very likely expensive, gold necklace with an emerald centerpiece. Emerald is Clara's birthstone, and as soon as she opens the package, she protests.