Chapter Forty-Five

[REAL LIFE]

Clara giggles at the cashier's face as Wilbur throws all the buckets of candy floss near the till.

"I'll take the lot please," he says.

The cashier nods slowly, before typing a few things and scanning the purchases.

"You're encouraging teen diabetes, Wil." Clara shakes her head, attempting to discourage him weakly.

"Pink or blue?"

"What?"

Wilbur just taps his card, smiling.

"You're all set," the cashier says, and Wilbur scoops up all the buckets, struggling to hold everything in his arms.

"I said, pink or blue?"

Clara looks down at the buckets, and can't keep from beaming.

"Blue..."

Wilbur grins, raising a brow at her. She pulls out a bucket and everything goes tumbling to the floor.

"... oops."

Once everything is picked up, and the load is shared between the two of them, Wilbur immediately rushes out of the shop to find Phil and Tommy, Clara running behind him.

"Tommy!" Wilbur calls, once he spots the pair.

Phil and Tommy turn around and Clara can see Tommy's eyes brighten, as Wilbur drops two of the buckets, kicking them over to Tommy.

"Take some and run, take some and run," Wilbur repeats. Tommy looks over Wilbur's shoulder to see Clara not far behind, also sprinting over with a few things of candy floss.

"NO WAY!"

"Run!" Wilbur urges, as Phil looks on disapprovingly.

"Why... what have you-?"

"How much did you get?" Tommy asks, smiling like a kid in a candy store.

Clara hands off the buckets she's holding to him as well, and he struggles for a bit, fighting not to drop anything.

Tommy and Clara sit on the ground, surrounded by candy floss, each digging in after Clara gives them a bit of the hand sanitizer she has in her pocket. Wilbur laughs wildly at the sight, clapping his hands together.

"What?" Tommy pulls at the bits of sugar, stuffing some in his mouth. "It's blueberry!" He exclaims through the food.

"So sugary, dude, it's compacted in there too," Phil says, shaking his head.

"Look how much Phil, look!"

"Such a gremlin."

"Wil!" Yanking out a large piece of candy floss, Tommy offers it to Wil, who laughs.

"I'm not eating from your fingers."

Tommy shrugs and has it for himself.

"Oh come on Wil, I know you want some." Clara pulls out a little from her own bucket, and offers it to Wilbur, patting the seat next to her on the ground.

Wilbur sighs, but eventually gives in, plopping down. She feeds him a bite and it melts as soon as it touches his tongue, blueberry sugar coating his mouth.

"Worth it, huh?" Clara muses.

"And suddenly, I'm a kid again," Wilbur says, chuckling under his breath.