Chapter Twenty-Three

[REAL LIFE]

Wilbur pulls out her chair as they arrive at their table, before taking his own seat. Clara scans the restaurant.

It's a cozy place in Covent Garden, ceiling and walls decked out in twisting white flowers, black night sky seen between the stems. She stares in awe, before picking up her menu to take a look at the food.

"This place is amazing, Wil." She says, looking at the exquisite starters. Clara really hopes that Wilbur pays. She can't even afford a glass of coke here.

"I knew you'd like it," he smiles adoringly, also looking at the menu.

"Are we getting starters?"

"Yeah, why not? Extend the night a little bit."

"Okay uh... I'm thinking I'll get a slow-cooked hen's egg to start off."

"Wow, that sounds good. I think... I'll go with the steak tartare."

Clara pretends to scoff. "Eating those poor innocent animals? How dare you, Wilbur?"

He rolls his eyes.

"Yeah yeah, I'm a horrible person." He picks up the wine list. "But I sure can pick a wine. So what are you thinking? Red? White? Rosé?"

"Oh, one hundred percent red."

"Oh thank god, I only like red wine." He looks closely at the list, and Clara giggles quietly. "What?"

"Nothing you just look like you seriously know what you're talking about."

Wilbur pretends to push a pair of glasses further up his nose. "Why, yes, we'll go with the Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, for the full-body tannin experience with the eccentric hint of cedar. It's my absolute favourite!"

Clara blinks, not processing any of what he just said. He breaks into a laugh.

"I have zero idea what I just said. But it's pretty easy to fake knowledge in the wine department, see?"

"Oh let me give it a go." She reaches out for the wine list and clears her throat. "Perhaps we should try the Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon, as the tannins provide a more rich mouthfeel, working in tandem with the enticing berry taste of the grape."

Wilbur applauds her quietly.

"Very good very good!"

She bows at him.

"Thank you, thank you."

Their waiter arrives to take their orders, and when he brings them the wine to taste, Wilbur swirls it around in his glass, winking at Clara.

"Mm, the tannins are especially strong with this one. I'll keep it." He says to the waiter poshly, who nods his head and pours both Wilbur and Clara a full glassful. He leaves, and Clara claps for Wilbur mockingly.

"Performance of the century."

"So uh, how's life been recently?" Wilbur asks, laying a hand on the table.

"Not too bad honestly. I've been working on some jewelry stuff, picking up shifts around the cafe. And to be candid, meeting all of George's friends, like you and Dream, has really made things better."

"In what sense?" Wilbur cocks his head.

"Like I don't know. I've been a little sheltered after uni. I hang out with the same two people, which isn't really a problem, but things were kind of getting repetitive and boring. I needed some change." Clara puts her hand in Wilbur, clasping the two together on top of the white tablecloth. "Which is where you come in."