Chapter 9. Ejey defense.

City of Gim. Headquarters of the Louria Stakes Command.

The naval battle of Rodenius was concealed from the command of the eastern land army of enslavement in order to avoid undermining morale, but still the horrifying news reached some of the stakes and of the total defeat in the naval battle and the destruction of the reconnaissance detachment.

News was received that one hundred knights of the 15th Cavalry Regiment, who had been scouting twenty-five kilometers east of Gym, had been destroyed. According to the report of the magic squad officer, no magical effects on the surroundings were detected, not even at wyvern level. Not a single knight returned, however, and they were identified by the regiment's heraldic banner stuck in the mountain of burnt corpses.
According to the officers, at least one knight should have survived such a situation. Perhaps they were overtaken by Qua-Toyne outnumbered detachment, but given the mobility of the cavalry, this thought was pushed to a distant regiment as absurd.                                                                                    

The Duke of Janfill, who assembled the commanders of the eastern army of enslavement, glanced at his subordinates and asked:

- Don't you find all this strange? We were supposed to fight against the swineherds and farmers of Qua-Toine, but we stumble upon fierce resistance," he took a sip from his bronze glass of red wine, shuddered at the distant explosion, and continued. - First our advance detachment that entered Gim is destroyed by unknown wyverns, then our worms are killed by unknown devils, and then our reconnaissance detachment is wiped out by unknown people, what do you think about it Vanush?

- No magical influences or beasts were detected. However, I received absurd reports that the entire flotilla sent to take the trading city of Maihark was completely, I emphasize, completely defeated. A detachment of 350 wyvern riders had also been destroyed by an unknown ship of tremendous magical power. - Vanush, the commander of the magic squadron, spoke up, and laid himself down on the wine.

- It can't be... It can't be..." The monotone wails of the crowd could be heard.The assembly was in shock; of course they had heard of the battle, but they thought it was nonsense. Now everyone was caught up in the longing and hopelessness of what had happened. The pause lasted a few minutes, and Duke Janfill began to speak in an unemotional, even afterlife voice:                                                                                                                                                                         

- Wait a moment, let's get this straight. The flotilla and the squadron of wyverns we sent were to conquer all of Qua-Toyne. Such an armada could have taken the provincial country of the Parpaldian Empire by storm with its numerical advantage; the flotilla had enough strength to break through even the sluggish provincial defenses and land. It would not be an exaggeration to call her the largest armada of our fleet. But you say they suffered a heavy defeat? By the devil, from some slumbering peasants?!

- No... I think it's bullshit myself, but in the dispatch from the manaсomm operators during the bombardment of the hostile magical ship, there was a mention of the Russian Federation. I believe it was responsible for our defeats before and after the capture of Gim.

They were silent, looked at each other, the pause lasted a couple of minutes and Duke Janfill after drinking some more wine said in a groggy voice:

- Anyway, we have received orders from Lieutenant General Adem to advance on the assault on the fortress of Ejey. We must take that fortress at all costs. - Janfill coughed and rubbed his forehead with his handkerchief, and anxious thoughts swarmed in his head. - "We are not even given the opportunity to reconnoitre! To refuse an order is tantamount to desertion and execution of the family. Damn this Adem."