Chapter 24: An Unexpected Exodus

The Holy Mirishial Empire. The port city of Cartalpas, in one of the bars.

As always, the port workers gathered in this bar to relax and unwind after a hard day's work. They were not forgetting to have a good drink of fire potion, and now there was laughter and drunken talk in the place.

- Farbel, aren't you gonna get killed by your wife, right?

- What do you mean?

- Eek. You're gonna blow your whole paycheck here... and she's probably been waiting for you for hours...

- Everybody shut up! The news is starting! - The bartender shouted, pointing to a panel that made the bar as quiet as a crypt. Everyone stared at the panel, which was blasting music.

The eyes of the visitors were drawn to a flat crystal panel. One could think of this panel as the magical equivalent of a television. The technology was available to Mirishial and Mu. But only the strongest of the superpowers could watch not only in color, but also with sound. Oh, yeah. And once a week, magical television broadcast news from every corner of the worlds. Merchants, for whom these technologies were unavailable, extracted interesting and invaluable information from the news bulletins.

- "Greetings, it's time for world news. Today we have some truly incredible news for our viewers. Now let's get to the important news."

- Quick, bring the betting log! - came a voice from the back of the room.

A thick folio was pulled out from under the floor of the bar. Someone clamored, someone made a meaningful gesture, someone made a plea. Tension was building. The stakes were high.

- "The Empire of Parapaldia, the fourth strongest among the superpowers and the first in the Third World to pursue an aggressive policy, failed in a war against an alliance of the uncivilized world. This alliance consisted of two states: the Kingdom of Fenn and a country in the far east, the Russian Federation. The losses of the Parpaldian Empire broke the anti-record for the first time in two hundred years. It is also reported that Parpaldia's naval losses equal one-third of the total. It is unknown what weapons the alliance used, but one thing is certain, this blow has reverberated throughout the continent of Philades."

There was a majority among those who had bet on the victory of the Parpaldian Empire and now they were asleep on the face. But two of the visitors were jubilant. They had made a fortune.

- So, the Russian Federation has won! All the money bet on the victory of Parpaldia goes to our two visitors, the regular Fenri Barkel and the merchant who came to us from faraway lands, Nikolaus Broris! - shouted the bar owner. - Gentlemen, come to the bar to collect your winnings.

- So, Fenri Barkel, beers are on you? - One of the visitors nodded at the magical plasma and chuckled.

- Let's do it next time, boys, my wife's waiting for me. - Fenry sipped his ale, left the payment and took the money he had won and left the tavern. He had something to please his wife. He bet on this Russia to win for a reason. The poor merchant who sat at the next table was drinking and snacking. This amount won in the bet will be enough for him to buy the same magic plasma and a dress for his wife and daughter.

The cheerful clamor of the harbor workers stopped again as the bartender shouted.- "The Gra-Valkas Empire, famous for defeating the superpower Leifor, has made a request for an Eleven Country Leadership Conference. Our government is considering holding a gathering of the eleven mighty powers of the Three Civilized Zones."

The Empire of Parpaldia. Vassal Duchy - Kooze.

A former symbol of wealth and prosperity has rotted under the rule of the Parpaldian Empire. In just twenty years, the former kingdom has become a stale and impoverished duchy whose inhabitants wallow in hopelessness, despair, poverty and insignificance. Each new day is a new torture of mind and body. Every breath was a painful spasm in the lungs. Every step poured lead into my legs, every slip is a familiar and painless lash. The strong find opportunities and escape from the mire of poverty, while the weak die of exhaustion.