Chapter 31: The Decline of Empire.

The Empire of Parpaldia. Capital: Esthirant.

- "What are they doing?" one of the onlookers in the hustle and bustle of the central square inquired.

- "It seems there's going to be some announcement related to the war," whispered another bystander. "Russia defeated us in the war."

- "What?! How could our empire lose?!" the first onlooker exclaimed angrily.

- "Shh, the military police will hear you," his companion hissed. "Don't forget, Russian troops are in the city."

"Fucking demons..." the first onlooker muttered angrily. "It's all schemes of this cursed sorcerous empire, mark my words..."

On all the streets of Esthirant, loyal Kaios troops were setting up manacoms with amplified sound. All residents were warned that an important announcement would be made today. This caused a commotion, and all the streets were filled with people.

- "Greetings, my loyal subjects. I am Ludius the First of Parpaldia, your emperor..." a dull voice emanated from the manacom in Central Square. "We abdicate the throne of the Parpaldian Empire... and relinquish our authority to Lord Kaios. Our fatal mistakes in domestic and foreign policy and excessive arrogance have led to this. For the first time in centuries, we have suffered a devastating defeat... and so I am stepping down... I hope my regent Kaios can lead our state out of these depths..."

All those who listened to the emperor's speech fell silent in horror. Not even whispers could be heard; this news stunned literally everyone. By this time, infantry in black and red uniforms with magical arquebuses on their shoulders were marching in tight boxes on the streets.

- "I now pass the word to Regent Lord Kaios," a dull voice echoed from the manacom. "Thank you, Your Imperial Majesty... The war between the Russian Federation and the Parpaldian Empire was a fatal mistake for which we paid too high a price. Due to the failures of the supreme government, we suffered crushing defeats, and seventy-two vassal countries declared their independence and rebelled. If this war had continued, we would have lost much more. The government has decided to cease fire with the Russian Federation and seek reconciliation..."

- "What?!" one of the bystanders in the crowd exclaimed angrily. "This can't be! We are a recognized superpower! They humiliated us, and you, like cowardly rats, want peace with them?! We must fight to the bitter end! Do you agree with me?!"

- "Yes!!!" the crowd roared. "We must fight to the bitter end!"

While most of the people were shouting in the crowd, some of them felt something and almost ran to leave the square.

- "What nonsense are you spouting, you fool?! It's easy for you to judge! While you fattened your purse on trade, I fought in the mud and blood with the Russians! No! If we continue fighting them, we'll lose everything!" another bystander shouted over the rabble. "You can't even imagine the nightmare I and my guys experienced!"

Shouting and threats echoed across the central square. The wise people had long dispersed far from sin, while the rest split into two camps and hurled insults at each other.

- "...Seventy-three countries formed a coalition and declared war on us. The government made great efforts to achieve peace with them. To preserve the integrity of our empire, we will coexist with these countries in peace. I believe we can withstand these trials!.."

- "No!" the trade inciter sobbed. "Let's overthrow the usurper! Let's restore the greatness of our state!"

- "I won't let you!" his opponent shouted back. "Come on, brothers! Let's not allow these scum to destroy our empire once and for all!"