Сhapter 27: The battle for freedom of the Kingdom of Altaras.

The Kingdom of Altaras. The capital is Le Brias.

After the untimely death of Viceroy Shok in the Kingdom of Altaras, his subordinates went wild. A kaleidoscope of atrocities and depredations swept across all the provinces under Parpaldia's control and the vast capital. Young girls and women disappeared without a trace, their husbands groveled under the heel of the invaders, the houses of nobles burned, mothers and children wept.

Rial had once been a captain of the royal guard in the lost past, but now he was one of those who would never give up and would fight the black and red. Just like yesterday he was walking through the filthy underbelly of the vast capital, wrapped in a dusty cloak. Ryal turned at the cry of anguish and pulled a dagger from under his sleeve to the wall and looked out and saw something that filled his heart with rage.

- No! Please! We... my little girl is innocent!" the young girl sobbed, holding the baby.

- You dare to speak against the Viceroy's decree, you scum? - smiled, one of the three in a black-and-red uniform with sergeant's epaulettes, his hand on the hilt. - Your brat is a suspect in the barn fire. It's coming with us.

- Please! My child was with me the whole time, she couldn't go anywhere without my knowledge. - The girl was trembling, holding her child with a tight grip. - I beg you, it's not our fault.

- I've had enough of that bastard. - The sergeant hissed angrily and with a quick step began to approach and snatched the girl out of her mother's arms. - Stupid animal, have you lost your fear? - Shoving the hysterically sobbing girl into the hands of one of the company, the sergeant drew a sword from its sheath and struck the girl flat. - On your knees, bitch! 

The girl trembled and knelt obediently, but her eyes were fixed only on her baby girl, whom she carried under her heart. The sounds of the pouring rain and the shouts of the invaders were muffled, she heard only the shrill cry of her daughter. A brief darkness, something warm dripped from her nose, her senses echoed with a sharp pain. Another blow that took her breath away, the tears she had previously cried out of her eyes again. Only the cry of her sobbing daughter and flashes of sharp pain made her realize that she was still alive. At the edge of consciousness, extraneous sounds appeared. Sounds of... fighting? But by whom? The girl tried to open her eyes. The girl wrinkled painfully and before her gaze began to dance murky images, and she herself was embraced by something, not to make out in any way ...

- Come on, get in here, you bastard. - spit up blood, the bruised sergeant.

The unknown man in the black cloak rushed toward the black and red one and abruptly missed a blow above his head, and the former lost his balance. A dagger blow to the head was repelled by a parody of a falchion. There was a clang of blows and sparks, a moment and both broke the distance. With renewed vigor the onslaught began and the Parpaldian lunged with a stabbing blow, which the captain repelled and began to counterattack. The false stabbing blow turned into a chopping blow, which the Parpaldian sergeant had to make a great effort to repel. Rial fended off the falchion's blows and, after waiting a moment, lunged with a sharp stabbing blow to the Parpaldian's neck. The point of the dagger sliced through the black and red man's neck, blood gushing from it. The Parpaldian knelt, snorted, and looked under the dark hood of the unknown man with a fading gaze. The unknown man finished him off and walked over to the battered girl who was stroking the girl's hair.

- Are you okay? Can you.... move? It's not safe to stay here. - The unknown man asked, squatting down next to the girl.

- Yes..." she whispered. - Thank y-you... You've saved m-my girl.

Rial took the girl in his arms and the whole company arrived a short time later at the underground headquarters shelter of one of the resistance cells.