Chapter 20: Declaration of War

The Empire of Parpaldia. The capital is Esthirant. First Department of Foreign Affairs of the Imperial Majesty.

Lord Kaios arrived at the First Department of Foreign Affairs by order of His Imperial Majesty. Kaios approached the office of the head of the First Department and stared at the heavy, ornate door for a long time.

- "This should have been my office by rights." - A thought painfully shot through the lord's mind causing him to hate it. Letting his emotions show for a second, Kaios put his mask of indifference back on.

The moment came, and the clerk opened the door and ushered Lord Kaios inside. In the room he saw Elto, Hans deputy chief, and next to him at the carved table stood the other executives. They chatted on various topics while drinking wine, but to Lord Kaios it was just white noise. Separate from the company, however, a noble woman of twenty-five, with silver hair, sat on a soft couch. She was wearing a long-sleeved black dress. After greeting everyone in turn, as the etiquette of the Parpaldian Empire indicated, Kaios asked a question:

- Lord Kaios has arrived by order of His Imperial Majesty, what can I do for you?

The noble, beautiful looking woman glanced at him and spat out venomously:

- Don't you know that? Lord, grow up and start thinking for yourself.

- I beg your pardon, but to whom do I have the honor? - Kaios asked politely, ignoring the young lady's venomous outcry.

- Audit Service of His Imperial Majesty's Foreign Affairs, Head of Service Remille.

The Foreign Affairs Audit Service was created to deal with internal iniquities and cases of deteriorating relations with other countries, itself in civilized areas. When offices were audited in the past, it sometimes resulted in the head of the office, being demoted to the rank of clerk and removed as chief, and sometimes some diplomatic duties were transferred to another office. Since all foreign policy departments were essentially made up of upper and middle aristocratic branches, and to avoid revolts of the highborn, it was decided to make up the audit service with members of the imperial family, including bastards. It dawned on Kaios who was sitting in front of him, and in the same second, he lowered his head and spoke:

- Excuse me, Your Imperial Highness.

- As you know, we are gathered here for a reason, and the topic of our conversation at the moment is the Russian Federation. As far as I remember, you and your department are in charge of diplomacy in barbarian countries. - Remille took a glass of wine in her hands, sipped from it and placed it on the table, and continued. - His Imperial Majesty's words do not reach you well? His words are always clear and precise in their wording - "Subjugate them", what, from this wording, was not clear to you, Kaios? I've seen tapes of you hobnobbing with these uncivilized barbarians and treating them like guests of state. You're not just weak in diplomacy, no, not even that, it's just awful. - Remille threw an angry glare at Kaios, and a vein began to throb on her forehead, and turning to a shout, she began to wail. - How did someone like you declare a diplomatic surrender to these barbarians! You're pathetic, Kaios....

Lord Kaios' forehead was covered in sweat and the hands behind his back clenched into fists to white knuckles.

— Kaios, I am withdrawing all cases of the Central 3rd Division related to the Russian Federation. From now on, all diplomatic issues with this barbarian country are now decided by the First Section. I'm leaving the post of head of the Audit Service and will join in the role of a diplomat of the 1st Section. Gentelmen. Remille turned to the executives and Elto. - From now on, all diplomatic issues regarding the Russian Federation should go through me.

Seeing the affirmative nods, Remille continued:

- Lord Kaios... those who cannot understand His Imperial Majesty's intent are of no use to the Empire. However, you will not be expelled from the 3rd Branch as the head, be grateful to HIM for that. - Remille admonished, raising her index finger upwards. - And from now on, be careful what you say and what you do.