Chapter 5- The Task

The last few days before the tournament went by too fast, and Harry found himself getting agitated as it approached

He only sneaked in and out of the library at night in his invisibility cloak, whether or not Draco was to be around the area. The encounters with him were making Harry unstable, especially under his unique circumstances. 

Everything seemed such a big deal and it didn't hit him until the morning of the task, that he was to face a dragon. Thankfully Hagrid had told Harry about the beasts or he wouldn't of known anything about them.

 Harry sat down next to Hermione, for about 10 minutes until Dumbledore stole him away to get ready for the suicide mission. They walked down the Great Hall together, stares locking on them, and turned out the door.

"Harry, go and clean up a bit and then meet me back here. I've laid out your clothes for you. They're on your bed," Dumbledore said. "Nervous?"

Harry just nodded, obeying the headmaster and heading towards the common room. He walked up the stairs briskly, dreading every step, and changed into his new uniform for the tournament. He sat on the bed and took deep breaths, hoping it would slow time down but time stops for no one, not even the Boy-Who-Lived.

Walking back down, much slower than before, he just ignored the stares and looked at his sneakers before they collided with someone else's black dress shoes. He knew those shoes. They were the footwear to someone Harry want the least in the world to see.

Malfoy.

Both boys were silent for a moment before the Gryffindor turned to walk away.

"Wait," Draco shouted almost too fast for himself to comprehend. Harry just paused and stared at the blonde for what seemed like centuries. This way he could examine Draco's features. They were tense: his eye brows furrowed, his lips turned in, and his eyes shrunk and small. They were a stunning silver, his eyes, and could melt even the coldest of chocolate, and Harry found himself turning to cocoa.

"Ihopeyoudontdieinthistournament."

"What?" Harry didn't know what th Slytherin just said from the way the words slipped off of his tongue faster than a fairy's wings flapped- plus the fact that he was lost in the his eyes.

Draco looked stressed. Harry didn't know if it was because of his supposed crush, or because he was just reacting straight up stupid to his words.

"I said," he took a breath," I hope you don't die in this tournament. Clear enough for you?"

"Errrrmm thanks I guess," Harry stated flabbergasted."Er- Malfoy, what's going on with you?"

Malfoy bit his lip, and then suddenly walked away, and Harry never thought he would love to see the day that Draco Malfoy would care about him, even though it just made everything more stressful and confusing. It did however seem to take a bit of edge off of the over view of the tournament.

There was life before it. There was life during it. And there was life after it. 

It was the latter he had to worry about. 

-------------------------------------

"Time for our champions to face the dragon!"

The crowd bellowed unbearably loud as Draco sat down next to Pansy, Blaise, Crabbe, and Goyle to watch the first task. They were in a section filled with Victor Krum posters and signs, cheering on the Bulgarian. They talked and cheered until it was Harry's time to catch the egg. 

"How long do you suspect he will stay alive?" Blaise asked.

"Less than 5 minutes I hope," Pansy smirked. Crabbe and Goyle agreed at 8 minutes.

"I suspect he will be in there for about 13, he's not that stupid." Just then, the contestant was whacked on the shoulder. "Make that 10 at most," Blaise laughed.

"And you, Draco?" Pansy asked.

"Put me down for the whole thing. I think he'll get the egg. He's Potter. He has luck seeping through his blood stream." At this time Potter seemed to have somehow gotten his broom, whoever allowed that, and was flying around the stadium.

"If he wins you have to go on a date with him!" Pansy said. Draco just rolled his eyes and said fine.

"What is that Draco? No grunt, No anger? You usually do when we plan another encounter. You'd think he is actually starting to like Potter," Blaise laughed. Draco's eyes turned to daggers.

"You try hanging around with the Gryffindork for a while," Draco started, but was cut off. 

"So you're saying you really do like him," Pansy teased. This time Draco shot swords into Pansy.

"No, I do not care about the stupid prat!" Harry flew above the crowd and soared towards the castle; the dragon broke free, chasing the boy with his firey fumes.

Draco flinched.

"Still don't care about him huh? He could be killed!"

"Then let him," Draco stated coldly.

He looked away knowing that one glance would ruin break his cool mask, for a by hint of worry consumed him.

It wasn't until 10 minutes when Harry flew past again, catching the golden egg, just as Draco had predicted. 

------------------------------------- 

Harry was In the infirmary for a few days so his shoulder could heal. He received visits from friends and a letter from Sirius Black, his godfather, congratulating him. Ron and he made up, thankfully. He was free to go when Madam Pompfrey gave him his last potion, and scolded him not to do anything stupid so it could heal properly.

He stalked out of the Hospital Wing with his head held high, and pride rushing through his viens. He had actually won! Nothing could rain on his parade, that is until, of course, he literally ran into a ferret.

"We have got to stop greeting each other like this," Harry yelped, grasping his shoulder. "What is it, Malfoy? Come to make fun of my incorrect use of a broom and rant how that isn't allowed." Harry had forgotten about Malfoy completely, and how he had been acting lately.

"Why is your arm still hurt?"

"It's sore," Harry scoffed. "That might happen when one is hit by a dragon. Go ahead, laugh, shove me, make it worse."

"No, I'm not here to hurt you," Draco said, almost annoyed, "I just wanted to congratulate you. And er- erm....I was wondering if... you wanted to come down to the lake, Friday, during dinner," he said sheepishly.

"Like- like a date," Harry questioned.

"You don't have to if you don't want to," Draco swallowed. Harry just stared at him, eyes wide.

"What are you playing at," he asked.

Draco turned and started to walk way. "S-sorry I bothered you."

Harry didn't want to but his curiosity got the best of him. He grasped Draco's arm as he started to walk away. "Okay, fine, I'll do it."