8

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁

We arrive at the playground after I give him directions

Louis opens my door for me, of course, and I'm about to thank him before he gives me a stern look.

I roll my eyes and get out, handing him his food.

I take him over to my table that I sit at every time. It's more deserted than the rest and the light is very dim so no one sits here.

I glance around the playground and notice some teenagers being stupid on the equipment.

I miss the days when I was one of those kids, going on the playground acting like a little kid and then going back home and getting drunk.

Underage drinking wasn't as crazy in Australia as it is here.

One time my friends and I got drunk and then went to get food. When we walked in, cops were standing there.

We were so suspicious and our lips were all red, it was so obvious we were wasted but they didn't care. They just talked to us and joked.

That's one of the things I miss the most. The laidback people.

No one really gave a fuck about anything.

I sit down and I expect him to sit down across from me but he sits next to me instead on the metal bench. He's not too close but not right on the edge.

I have this thing where I have to be aware of my surroundings so I always choose to face the way that people are. I used to not be able to handle sitting in the front of the classroom at school because of it, and would always be as far back as I could. Maybe he's the same.

I place my sub on the table and unwrap it.

I suddenly feel self-conscious. I don't really like eating in front of people.

I glance over at him to see him cautiously unwrapping his.

"Do you like Subway?" I ask.

"I've never had it," he tells me, scratching the back of his head.

"What?" I gasp. "Okay, well, eat up because this will change your life."

He picks up the bread and takes a slow bite. I can't tell if he likes it or not because his face remains neutral.

"Yum?"

He nods, still emotionless. "It's okay."

I shake my head. "That's an understatement."

I work up the courage to eat, assuring myself he's not watching me and doesn't really give a fuck what I look like.

We finish our food and I get up and put our rubbish in the closest bin.