I

The summer went by quickly. Emilia tried to forget about the previous year as best she could. Sebastian sent a few owls, mostly to ask how her summer was going and how she was doing. She would reply, telling him that things were going well. She told him that she had being practicing her broom riding in hopes that they would bring Quidditch back this year. She had always wanted to be on the team, but never thought she could make the cut. Last years events taught her she was stronger than she believed. The warm summer air help to remind her of all the good times she spent with Sebastian. And her other friends. She had forgotten about them toward the end, too worried about Sebastian and what he was doing. She had Natty and Poppy over for a few weeks over the summer as well.

She had plenty of time to think on what was bothering her. Sebastian. He really could be thick. She was glad for his owls over the summer to let her know he still wanted to be friends. She had finally thought about the things he did, to her and to himself. She was finally ready to tell him what he had been waiting for; that she would go forward with their friendship. But she didn't think they should always be attached at the hip anymore. That was part of what caused this problem in the first place. Boundaries. As much as she hated to put some distance between them, it was best. At least for now until she was sure of him, and of herself.

The summer came and went. It was the week before the Hogwarts Express would sound its whistle and pull out of Platform 9 and 3/4s in Kings Cross Station. Emilia, was walking around Diagon Alley, getting her supplies for her upcoming sixth year. As she looked up from her list, walking out of Flourish and Blotts she noticed a brown haired boy that looked familiar walking. Her eyes went a little wide when she realized it was Sebastian. He looked different. The summer had been kind to him. Very kind.

What was she saying? She didn't think about him like this. He was her friend. But she couldn't help herself. She took him in. He had gotten taller. If he wasn't already tall enough. His face was still him, but more angular. He looked more fit. What was going on with her?

He began to turn toward her. In a panic, she pulled her school list in front of her face, hoping he wouldn't notice her.

Please don't see me. Keep walking. I'm just another student in the crowed.

"Em? Is that you?" She heard Sebastian call. His voice was deeper.

Looking up from her hiding place, she put on a big smile, trying to keep her thoughts off her face, "Sebastian Sallow, what are you doing here?"

"There were some things that I couldn't get in Hogsmeade, so we came down to see what you lowlanders had laying about," He smiled. He always did poke fun at her for always complaining about the mountains in Scotland.

She let out a little laugh. She did miss him. "Okay, mister high and mighty. I thought you might have a smaller ego this year. Guess I was wrong. Are you guys here for the day or are you heading back soon?" She hoped she might be able to talk with him more.

"We have to head back, Em. I'm sorry to say. Uncle Solomon is already waiting for us," He let out a small sigh. Maybe he wanted to talk with her too? She felt something strange welling up in her stomach at that thought. What is going on with her?

"Oh," Her smile fell slightly, but she caught herself, "Well I'll see you next week. Try and stay out of trouble, mister," She teased.

He let out a laugh, "Only because it's you asking," He smirked, but only faintly, as he turned to walk back to Anne. If she wasn't studying his face she would have missed it. Her face felt warm.

_________

The ride to Hogsmeade was painfully slow. She couldn't wait to get back to her studies. To her friends.

To Sebastian.

As she stepped off the carriage outside of Hogwarts gates, she felt the anxiety of seeing Sebastian again well up. It almost felt like butterflies fluttering around her abdomen. How obnoxious of her. She needed to get it together.

Dinner went by, with the announcement that they would, in fact, be having Quidditch this year. Professor Black could not deal with another year of complaints. The whole Hall erupted with cheers.

During the whole evening she couldn't help but try to catch a glance at Sebastian. They would lock eyes sometimes and smile at each other. That always made the anxiety in her stomach worse. She needed to speak with someone about this. Maybe Natty had something? She would have to make sure they talked before bed.

As everyone got up to leave for their dorms, she made sure she kept an eye on where Sebastian was in the crowed, hoping to get a word in before they went their separate ways. Luckily, it seemed he had the same idea. They walked slowly, meeting up before exiting into the corridor.

"Good evening, Miss Findley," He made a slight bow, smiling his brightest smile.

She giggled, "Hello, good sir. And how might your evening be?"

Things were like old times again. She hoped they could forget about last year and rekindle their friendship.

"About as good as I can be, giving the the circumstances," He said, pouting.

"Circumstances? What happened?" She asked. What was he talking about?

"Well I just haven't been able to talk to you enough tonight. Torture if you ask me," He pointed at himself with his thumb.

There goes that anxiety again. And the warm face. She turned her head to hide her blush, giggling at the fool boy. He was a fool boy. He didn't look much like a boy now, still a fool though.

Wait, what is he doing? Is he....flirting? No, he can't be.

"This way, please. We have a big day tomorrow," A prefect shouted above the crowed of students milling around.

She looked at him with a small smile. He returned hers with one of his own, "Alas, I must wait until tomorrow. You better have some classes with me, or I swear I'll have to cause some trouble."

She shook her head, still giggling, "Good night, Sebastian." Maybe a little flirting of her own was warranted.

What am I saying? This isn't like me. This is his fault.

She watched as he stopped in his tracks and his face was almost unreadable. She still wasn't sure what she saw in his eyes, but she watched as he was whisked away by the sea of green robes.

This is going to be an interesting year.