21

Kennedy Simmons

Today was the day!

I was ready. I had organised all of my degrees and papers that would possibly be useful, I wore proper clothes, I had practiced everything I would say.

That didn't mean I wasn't nervous though.

I felt nauseous. This was my dream job and it was big. Anyone would want to have this position. Great premises, workplace, salary... This was all that a doctor would have wished but getting a position there was difficult... Even impossible!

When I got in the building I felt my heart rate pick up. I thought I was going to faint any moment. Everything in this building was so expensive and... clean. Even the people looked expensive... I mean rich!

God, please help me! I'm a mess!

I walked to the reception or however it was called. The woman who was there gave me a friendly smile. "Hi. My name is Kennedy Simmons. I'm here for the job interview." I tried really hard to hide how nervous I was but I don't think I did a good job. "Of course. Mr. Garner is waiting for you. I'll take you to his office."

Ansel Garner was the owner of this place. I had done my own research on him. He was 55 years old and he came from a really rich family. When he was younger he had been accused of beeing associated with dangerous people but later it was proved that this wasn't true. He was a good man and everyone knew it. He kept giving money to charities - most of the times secretly but he was either caught or it was revealed years later by others - and he always helped people.

The woman knocked on the door. "Come in." a deep voice was heard. She opened the door and motioned me to follow her inside. "Sir, this is Kennedy Simmons." When he saw me he gave me a big smile. He looked like a cheerful person and that relieved some of my stress. "Ms. Simmons. It's so nice to meet you." He offered me his hand and I glandly shook it. "The pleasure is all mine." I returned the grin. Smiling was easier now that I wasn't that stressed. "You can go now, Mary." The woman nodded with a smile and walked out of the room.

"Please sit down, ms Simmons." I sat on a chair that was situated in front of his desk. Unlike most buisness chairs, this one wasn't made from leather and neither was his own. I looked around the office. It wasn't as big as I expected it to be but it felt homey. There was a huge window that led to a balcony. Next to it there was a quite big white pot with a beautiful plant on it. On the side there was a white bookcase with various books. On the walls there were pictures from various landscapes.

It was a beautiful office.

"So, ms. Simmons, I assume that in this file case you're holding there are the papers that I have to look at before I hire you. I don't even have your CV so they are needed." I nodded and gave him the case. "Yes, sir." He took it but didn't even go through the  papers. "Good, but before I want to get to know you a little."

Here we go.

Talking about myself wasn't easy simply because no one cared about me and they got bored. I didn't want to make him fall asleep during the interview but I guess I had to reply to everything he asked me.

"Do you have a family, ms Simmons?" He asked. "No, sir. I grew up in an orphanage in Michigan and then I stayed in various foster homes but I never got adopted." He nodded and gave me an understanding look. "How old are you? You look really young. Probably too young."

I did expect that question.

"I'm 20 years old." He looked shocked and that was an understandmend. People my age are on college and they don't look for a job in places like this. "You know that this is a position for a doctor, right? If you want to be a doctor you need a degree." He tried to be as polite as possible but to me it sounded like he was kicking me out already. "I- I do have degrees. Multiple actually. They're in the case. I graduated early when I was 15 years old and got full scholarships. I have 4 Phds in psychology, psychiatry, medicine and biochemistry."