43*

Kennedy Simmons

I was in danger of turning into a serial killer by mistake!

Today was a difficult day at work. I was on edge because of the turn my life had taken and that can be even lethal when you are a doctor. Thankfully today I had no surgeries arranged and there were no emergencies.

It had been a pretty easy day at work to say at least and I would be really relaxed and calm if my mind wasn't running a hundred miles each second. I was overthinking about everything.

How did I even get involved in this mess?

Things had gotten incredibly complicated and now my parents would probably be involved too.

Would I finally find out who they were? I had so many unanswered questions. I don't think I was ready to even think about meeting my biological parents or finding out their identities.

What if they were like Clark?

I would much rather have no parents at all.

I tried not too get too excited because we still didn't know who they were and there was a possibility that they had nothing to do with all of this and if that was the case I would never find more information about them.

But then we would go back to square one.

What was my involvement in this mess?

"Ken, are you okay? You look a bit off." Ansel's voice interrupted my thoughts. He looked genuinely concerned about me as always. "Yeah. I'm just a little tired." He didn't buy it but he didn't insist either. "Okay. You can go check on Angelina and then you can leave. We don't have any work today and the others can handle it." I thanked him and walked out of his office.

Ansel had been the best boss ever. He cared about each one of us individually but he took extra care of me since I was the youngest. He made sure I was always okay and I never overworked or stressed out. He had been like a caring father.

He was truly a golden man.

I walked inside Angelina's room but I immediately froze in my spot when I saw three familiar people around her bed. Charlie, Lincoln and Harry were there and their eyes were on me as the most shocked expression was plastered on my face.

"What are you doing here?" I asked trying not to curse for Angelina's sake. "We came to see mum." Charlie replied cheerfully while pointing at Angelina.

Mum?

Holly shit!

Angelina Allen was the mother of Charlie and Lincoln Allen. She had taken her late husband's last name. Why didn't I think of it before? Sometimes I could be so fucking stupid!

But why was Harry here?

As if she read my mind Angelina responded to my unspoken question. "After Harry's parents died he came to live with us. We are all a family here." I vaguely remembered Harry refering that. I had completely forgotten about it.

"Oh... Ughm... Okay. Do you need me to leave? I can come later." She shook her head. "No. They were leaving anyways. You came just in time."

They all said goodbye to her and then Lincoln and Charlie greeted me before leaving. Harry didn't even acknowledge my presence but I was used to it by now. I didn't expect anything more from him. He had already treated me decently for the past few days. If he kept up with the good behaviour people would suspect that we were friends and that would be unbearable for him.

After they were all out of the room and the door was closed I turned to Angelina who was looking at me with a knowing smile in her face. I feared to know what she had in mind. They could have told her anything. Especially Charlie. He was the king of gossip.