1 ¦ The Deal

The heart in my chest is pounding nervously against my ribs as I stop in front of the door to our living room. The smell of coffee and expensive aftershave rises to my nose as I take a deep breath and hold it before slowly exhaling it through my mouth to calm myself.

Muffled, I take in my father's conversation with our guest. This guest is not just some business partner of my father, but my future husband. The contract they have signed is for a huge sum of money that will save my father's company from collapse and our family from insolvency. But in exchange, my father's financier demanded our marriage.

My father puts his company above his own flesh and blood and more or less sells his daughter to a man I have never seen before. If it weren't for my mother, I would have bolted the moment my father delivered this message to me in order to escape this unwanted, forced marriage.

However, I just can't bring myself to leave her alone with him. I know how aggressive he can get. Even though my mother would never admit it I know it is not uncommon for him to hit her. I have seen the bruises that she always tries to hide from me. I've heard her crying and how she finally quieted down after banging loudly. It's hard to imagine what he would do to her in his rage if I ran off and ruined him.

Hesitantly, I open the door and enter the living room, where the fireplace crackles. With my eyes downcast, I enter the room and nervously smooth the satin fabric of my knee-length black dress. Nervously, I stop a few feet away from the black leather sofa where my father is sitting with my mother and my future husband, who is sitting with his back to me.

"Dolores," my father says delightedly. "Just now we were wondering when you would finally join us." For a brief moment no one says anything and I stare spellbound at the back of our guest who is wearing a black suit.

"Sorry," I reply, swallowing hard as I follow my father's prompting gaze and step closer to the sofa. Now our guest rises and turns to me. My breath catches in my throat.

He is clearly younger than I expected. I estimate him to be in his early 20's at the most. He has striking facial features and his brown hair is perfectly styled. His full, heart-shaped lips are twisted into a crooked smile, but this smile doesn't reach his golden brown eyes, which look at me completely emotionless.

Hesitantly, I grasp his hand, which he holds out to me, feeling as cold as his eyes look at me. "I'm Park Sunghoon. It's nice to meet you. What's your name?"

I am sure that Sunghoon already knows my name, especially since my father called me by it not even a minute ago. "Dolores," I reply taciturnly, which is partly due to my nervousnessand at the same time dislike, which I try to hide with difficulty.

I want to pull my hand out of his, especially since we've been shaking hands for far too long for my taste, but Sunghoon continues to hold my hand, preventing me from breaking free of his grip.

"Excuse me?" he asks, approaching my face with raised eyebrows. The coldness emanating from his hand creeps up my arm and runs down my spine like an icy shiver. Perplexed, I look into Sunghoon's brown eyes, which reflect no emotion at all.

"I'm Dolores," so I repeat my name, hoping he'll let go of me now, but instead he squeezes my hand a little tighter with his, making it almost painful. "I'm happy to meet you too," so I quickly add, which of course is a lie. I'm not looking forward to meeting him.