64 ¦ Polaroid Love

After Sunghoon and I slept for almost ten hours after the long car ride yesterday, we are now sitting in a small café in town and having breakfast together. I bite dreamily on my croissant and look out the window. Although the sky is so beautifully blue and the sun is shining, it's freezing cold outside.

"What do you want to do today?" Sunghoon asks, snapping me out of my thoughts. He sips his coffee. "How about a little hiking tour?" I suggest to my counterpart, stirring my hot cocoa until the whipped cream has completely dissolved, leaving only a light film.

"Do you think that will work?" he asks thoughtfully, raising his eyebrows. Due to my pregnancy, activities such as skiing or mountain climbing are eliminated, but still, according to my gynecologist, hiking, for example, is not a problem as long as I don't overdo it and pay attention to my body's signals.

"I'm pregnant, not terminally ill," I reply, rolling my eyes with a smile. "I just don't want this to be too much for you," Sunghoon worries, swirling his cup back and forth a bit before downing the last sip of coffee.

"If we pack enough food and drink and take enough breaks, I'm sure it won't be too much for me," I assure my husband, who is worrying far too much. I'm fine and want to take advantage of being here as much as I can, despite my pregnancy.

"Think of it as a walk, it's good for both of us after the long car ride yesterday," I add. "Alright...", Sunghoon finally concedes defeat and sets his empty cup down on the table. The wooden chair creaks slightly as Sunghoon leans back on it, returning my gaze from his brown eyes with satisfaction. "A walk in the mountains with my wife.... I'm looking forward to it."

After breakfast, we leave the café. With my shoulders hunched, I cross my arms in front of my chest as the icy wind makes me shiver. I might have guessed, despite the sunshine, that I should have put on a thicker jacket.

"Are you cold, Lola?" Sunghoon wants to know anxiously , who is walking right next to me. At my nod, he puts his heavy arm around my shoulders and pulls me closer to him to keep me warm.

After the short walk down the street, we reach the small supermarket in town, where we buy groceries for our stay in the mountain hut and our excursion later. Relieved, I drop my shoulders as the warm air blows toward me as I enter the supermarket.

"We should buy more water," I inform him, and am about to lift the six-pack of water bottles when Sunghoon grabs my arm. "Leave it, I'll do it," he says hurriedly, gently pushing me aside and loading the water into the cart. He then turns back to me, eyeing me anxiously. "I told you not to lift so heavy," he reminds me, pointing at my stomach.

"You're right," I agree with him and nod affirmatively before we continue our shopping. After paying for everything and loading it into bags in the trunk, we head back to the cabin in the mountains. Once there, Sunghoon carries the groceries into the kitchen and I set about unpacking them.

Suddenly, I feel Sunghoon's chest against my back. Carefully, he wraps his arms around my waist and breathes a gentle kiss on my cheek. Smiling, I reach for his hands, which he has clasped in front of my stomach. For a moment we just stand there and enjoy the closeness to each other. I can no longer imagine what it's like without him. With him by my side, I just feel so complete, secure, and loved.

"Do you want me to make us sandwiches for our trip?", I finally break the comfortable silence and turn my face in his direction to look him in the eye. "Sandwiches sound perfect," he replies and then moves away from me. "I'll help you," he adds quickly, and is just reaching for the package of toast when the cell phone in his pocket starts ringing.