32 ¦ It Was Just a Dream

A/N: Thanks for 5K reads now enjoy this chapter and let me know in the comment section what u guys think :))

- - -

"NO!", Sunghoon's scream snaps me out of my light sleep. Confused, I rub the heels of my hands over my tired eyes and stare into the darkness that surrounds me, and I sit up in the large four-poster bed. "PLEASE NO! NO!" 

What the hell is going on? 

Seriously concerned, I rise from my bed and hurry into the hallway, where I stop in front of the door to Sunghoon's bedroom. Without knocking, I yank it open to find a whimpering Sunghoon rolling around in his bed. 

"Sunghoon, hey," I say insistently, shaking his shoulder lightly to wake him. Obviously, he's having a bad dream. 

He tears open his eyes, from which tears are streaming down his face, and shoots up so that he is now sitting bolt upright in his bed. Beads of sweat have formed on his forehead and he is crying bitterly. 

"It was just a dream," I try to reassure him, as his chest rises and falls erratically and he still seems quite indifferently. Not knowing any other way to help myself, I wrap my arms around his body to pull Sunghoon into a gentle embrace. Hoping that he will gradually calm down again, I stroke his back.

And look, it seems to work; his breathing becomes shallower and quieter and he buries his head in the crook of my neck. "It was just a dream," Sunghoon repeats my previous words in a weak voice, feeling his warm breath on my neck. Now Sunghoon wraps his arms around my body as well, and for a few minutes we linger in our embrace before breaking away from it. 

"What were you dreaming?", I ask cautiously, looking at him with concern. The way Sunghoon was screaming, it must have been really awful.

"It doesn't matter," he replies, and I allow him to reach for my hand. Gently, Sunghoon strokes the back of my hand with his thumb. His gaze goes past me to the wall behind me and I can't help turning to look at what's there. I notice a picture of his mother and him playing a piano, and I'm amazed when I see the piano from the picture just a few feet away. Sunghoon must have been dreaming about her, no doubt. 

"Why are you here?", Sunghoon breaks through my thoughts and when I turn my head back in his direction, he is already looking at me with raised eyebrows. "You were screaming and..." I swallow hard, because I actually don't want to show myself small to Sunghoon after all the tension between us the last few days. 

"I was worried about you," I finally confess to him, because it's the truth. Even if I don't say it out loud, I wouldn't be able to deny to myself how worried I had been when I heard his cries.

"I'll get you a glass of water," I say in the very next breath, and immediately after that I rise from the edge of Sunghoon's bed and want to rush to the door, but the young man holds me back by grabbing my hand. With raised eyebrows, I look down at him. "Thank you," Sunghoon merely says, and immediately lets go of my hand. 

When I arrive at the first floor of the house, I am surprised to find that there is a light on in the kitchen. I approach the slightly open door, behind which I can hear a discussion between Teresa and my mother. 

Their voices are muffled. It must be serious and at the same time it doesn't seem meant for my ears, which is why I want to turn back when suddenly my name comes up. Surprised, I turn back toward the door. I don't know what tempts me, but instead of bursting into the kitchen and ending their conversation, I remain standing in front of the door and listen to them. 

After all, it seems to be about me, too, and I'm really tired of all matters that concern me, always being decided without me. "If Lola finds out, it will throw her completely off track," I hear Teresa say. If I find out what? 

"I can't take it anymore," my mother tearfully replies. What can't my mother take anymore? What are they talking about? 

In my head I play out all the scenarios, but none of them make any sense whatsoever. "Let's face it; I may have raised her, but she was never my biological daughter," my mother says, and my breath catches.

It takes me a moment to realize what she has just said. I am not her biological daughter and the woman I have called mom all my life is not my biological mother?! But does that also mean that my father is not my biological father? Does that mean I was adopted? 

"I love Lola like my own flesh and blood...but she is your daughter, Teresa." I step back from the door and stare with wide eyes and parted lips at the beam of light shining into the hallway. 

In my head, I keep repeating my mother's words about Teresa being my birth mother. This makes no sense. After all, why would my father and mother raise their housekeeper's daughter as their own? Unless... No... My father and Teresa? 

I feel sick to my stomach. Everything around me feels like a movie is passing me by. Teresa has always been part of my life, taking care of me as if I were her own child. Never once did I consider that she could possibly be my mother. But now that I know, it all makes sense. Now I also know why she acted so strangely when I said she was like a second mother to me, and when I accused her of not caring so much about all this if it were her own daughter. 

"What happened?", Sunghoon asks anxiously when I return to his bedroom without a glass of water. I barely manage to close the door behind me before my knees give way under my own weight. 

With tears in my eyes, I slump on the floor. My chest rises and falls rapidly, yet I think I'm suffocating under the pressure that wraps around my heart. Immediately, Sunghoon jumps up from his bed and kneels on the floor with me. 

"They lied to me, Sunghoon...", I whisper. "Lying to me all my life long." Sobbing, I hold my hands in front of my face and close my eyes, tears streaming inexorably down my cheeks. 

Instead of inquiring further, Sunghoon wraps his arms around my body and pulls me into a gentle, comforting embrace, stroking my head soothingly with his hand as I place my head against his chest and cry bitterly.

A/N: Now did u expect this..?