37 ¦ N.O

A/N: I'm having a death wish today so i'll just drop this chapter and say goodbye to you loving readers cuz some of you may kill me after this :-))

- - -

Still speechless, I look at Sunghoon, who stands in front of me with the opened box in his hand. His golden eyes look down on me full of hope. Thousands of thoughts buzz through my head.

The fact that Sunghoon has canceled the contract with my father means that my father will not receive the money Sunghoon promised. This, in turn, means that my father's company is now finally on the verge of going out of business.

But my father wouldn't be my father if he didn't have one last move up his sleeve. And that's what scares me. What if he does something to my mother, who is still married to him, and Teresa? Or Sunghoon, because he's the reason that my father is now finally bankrupted?

"You have to take care of yourself," I say in a serious voice. "My father is vindictive and cruel. He would do anything to get what he wants." "I'm not afraid of your father," Sunghoon informs me in a firm voice. He juts his chin a little, making him look intimidating. "And you shouldn't have to be anymore either."

"I don't know if I really can after everything that's happened," I say in a low voice, glancing back and forth between the ring and Sunghoon. "We don't have to get married," Sunghoon replies quietly, shaking his head. He squats down to be at the same eye level with me.

"This ring is a promise to you; I promise to protect you. From your father and from anything and anyone who would wish you harm. I expect nothing in return. Only that you stay with me so I can keep my promise to you. But we don't have to get married unless you want to."

Sunghoon seems changed since our very first meeting. He is no longer the cold, disinterested, goal-oriented young man who doesn't allow feelings. He is full of love, warmth, and he is genuinely interested in how I am doing. Did I trigger that in him?

Despite everything that was, Sunghoon sparks these feelings in me that almost steal my mind in his presence and don't let me sleep at night. I can't quite interpret them myself. But I have never felt the way I do with him before. Maybe I should throw my doubts and worries overboard after all and give Sunghoon a chance.

"Do you love me?", I ask straightforwardly. We both pause for a moment, and Sunghoon seems to be thinking hard. It looks like he's weighing in his head whether to answer yes or no. "I don't know," he finally replies.

Still squatting in front of me, he looks at me. We are so close that it is almost unbearable for me. I would like to kiss him. Is Sunghoon feeling the same way?

"All I know is that you trigger something in me that I've never felt before. I can't think of anything but you. When I wake up, when I go to sleep.... even sometimes when I dream. For the first time since my mother died, I don't feel this emptiness inside me. You fill it."

"Sunghoon-," I start, but immediately stop as this tingling feeling in my stomach takes me over completely. Instead of saying anything else, I put my hand to his cheek and pull him to me to kiss him.