66 ¦ Only Love Can Hurt Like This

"Sunghoon," I say as I enter our son's future room. Immediately, the young man who is about to paint the light blue color on the wall stops. He puts down the paint roller and turns to me. "Is it time?" he asks in a panic, looking back and forth between my face and my belly, which is now so big that I feel like I'm about to burst. 

The calculated due date isn't for another couple of days, yet it could very well start at any moment, as I've already been feeling light practice contractions on and off for a couple of weeks, and our baby's movements have decreased significantly. 

"If you mean dinner for once, yes," I reply with a grin on my lips and wrap my arms around his neck. "Sorry," Sunghoon sighs, laughing nervously. 

Smiling, I blow him a kiss on the lips. "It's okay...but don't worry. I'll make you understand clearly when it starts," I assure my husband. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited about the birth. After all, this is my first child and aside from all the scary stories, I have no idea what exactly is in store for me. 

I am no longer afraid of the birth itself and the pain that comes with it. In the meantime, I am simply looking forward to the moment when we can finally hold Daniel in our arms. Satisfied, I look around the nursery. 

Sunghoon actually managed to finish painting it for the second time today. The color is wonderful and matches perfectly with the light-colored furniture we chose, which Sunghoon set up with Jay while Eun-Ji, Leela and I bought the first onesies and diapers together. 

"Do you like it?" he wants to know, wrapping a strand of my brown hair around his finger and tucking it behind my ear. "It's all perfect," I return, smiling at him. Sunghoon returns my smile and places his index finger under my chin, lifting it slightly. He looks deep into my eyes. "I love you so much, you know that right?" he whispers softly. 

Instead of waiting for an answer, he closes the small gap between us to kiss me. Very gently and lovingly. With his index finger still resting under my chin, Sunghoon places his other hand at my back and gently presses me against him.

"Dinner's getting cold," I remind Sunghoon that I'm originally here because I wanted to take him to dinner and break away from his familiar soft lips. "Right," he replies, glancing at the paint roller, the open paint bucket, and the pad covered with small blobs of paint. 

"I'll just put that away after dinner," he decides, and follows me out of Daniel's now-finished room. Everything is ready for him now and I long for the moment of his birth. I have enjoyed being pregnant, but by now my belly is so big and heavy that I don't like to sit, stand or lie down for long. Everything is uncomfortable and I am in constant pain. 

While Sunghoon is still washing his hands, I already go to the dining room and sit down at the set table, where I wait for Sunghoon, who is not long in coming. "Jagiya, you got mail," he informs me, entering the dining room with a large envelope in his hand. 

"From whom?", I want to know and look at the envelope with my eyebrows drawn together. His brown eyes dart over the envelope before stopping. His features soften. "From art school." he replies, handing me the envelope. 

"Oh God," I say excitedly, not daring to open the envelope. "Open it already," Sunghoon tries to encourage me. He sits down in his seat across from me. "I don't dare," I reply, shaking my head.