40 ¦ I love you

When I wake up the following morning, Sunghoon is still asleep next to me. Smiling, I look at his flawless face; his long, dark eyelashes and his slightly parted lips.

I move a little closer to him to touch his face with my fingertips. As I do so, I gently trace his striking features. Suddenly, Sunghoon wraps his strong arm around my petite waist and pulls me even closer so that there is not a hand's width of space between our bodies.

His warm breath brushes my neck and I feel tingling goose bumps spread across my skin as he breathes a soft kiss on the spot between my ear and neck. Sunghoon turns his head to look me in the eye. His full lips wrap around a warm smile.

"I could get used to this," he whispers sleepily in a raspy morning voice. Gently, he brushes my brown hair out of my face and tucks it behind my ear. "To what?", I enquire in an occupied voice. "Waking up next to you, Jagiya," Sunghoon replies smiling.

My mind drifts to that night two weeks ago when Sunghoon cooked for me and proposed. I think back to when he pulled the small box with the ring out of his pocket and made me a promise.

"This ring is a promise to you; I promise to protect you. From your father and from anything and anyone who would want to harm you. I expect nothing in return. Only that you stay with me so I can keep my promise to you. But we don't have to get married unless you want to."

At that point, I was unable to form a clear thought. But after everything that has happened, this man is all I can think about. He makes the world around me stop for a moment and makes me forget all my worries and fears. Sunghoon triggers feelings in me that I have never felt before. I fell for him a long time ago...

"Hoon," I whisper and put my hand to his cheek. Not knowing how to describe my feelings in words, I put my lips on his to kiss Sunghoon. At first, Sunghoon seems quite surprised, but then returns the kiss with a smile on his lips.

The kiss becomes more passionate and I feel him press his body against mine. Instead of saying anything against it, I allow Sunghoon to lean over me and gently press me into the mattress. "You're so beautiful," Sunghoon breathes against my neck, spreading more kisses there.

Suddenly, his fingers slide into my pants, where he tenderly touches me between my legs through the thin fabric of my panties, eliciting a soft moan from my lips. With my lips pressed together, I rest my head on the back of my neck and close my eyes as Sunghoon continues to touch me lovingly.

"I love you," I hear him whisper in my ear. Immediately, I open my eyes and look at the young man whose golden brown eyes bore deeply into mine. Nervous and overwhelmed at the same time, I avert my gaze from Sunghoon, not knowing how to react to this sudden confession.

Instead of saying anything, my body tenses. "Fuck," Sunghoon mumbles and sinks down next to me on the mattress, shaking his head, stopping to touch me. Instead, he ruffles his brown hair, sighing. "I-," I start, but stop immediately after as there is a knock on the door and it opens only moments later.

Standing in the doorway is a middle-aged man wearing a black suit. His gaze wanders back and forth between Sunghoon and me before it lingers on me. With my head held high, I lower my gaze and try not to let on how uncomfortable I feel.

Sunghoon starts talking to him in Korean. Although I don't know what they are talking about, Sunghoon's voice sounds angry and annoyed. I wonder what they are talking about?

"It sounded important," says the man still standing in the doorway. "All right," Sunghoon sighs and sits up in his bed. The middle-aged man pulls the door shut behind him, leaving Sunghoon and me alone.

I dare to lift my gaze and look at Sunghoon. "What was that about?", I ask. "I have to go to the company," he informs me, rising from the bed to go to his closet. He frees himself from his T-shirt and I catch myself staring at his bare chest for far too long. My gaze lingers on his lower left abdomen where the bullet wound is located. However, this is hidden by a large white band-aid.

"To the company?", I ask anxiously. "You must be taking it easy." Sunghoon snorts softly. "Don't worry about me, I'm fine, Dolores. It was just a little scratch," Sunghoon informs me, beginning to button up his white shirt.

"You're unbelievable... Do you even know how horrible it's been for me and-" I sob and my voice fails. Memories of that night make me fall silent. I remember Sunghoon slumped on the floor in front of me and all the blood seeping through my fingers as I tried to stop the bleeding with my hands.

Tears well up in my eyes because I can't believe Sunghoon is taking it lightly when he could have died. He joins me at the edge of the bed and grabs my hand. "You're right, I'm sorry," Sunghoon says softly.

I lift my gaze and look at him. He wipes a tear from my face as it makes its way down my cheek. "Still, you don't have to worry. I just have some important business to take care of at the company, and then I'll be right back."

"But take care of yourself," I ask him softly. I don't even like to think of anything happening to Sunghoon again. "I will," Sunghoon promises me, stroking the back of my hand with his thumb.

He gives me a gentle kiss on the forehead before rising from the edge of the bed and walking to the door. Before he closes the door, he gives me one last look. His lips form a smile before he leaves the room and pulls the door shut behind him.

I think I love him, too.