17 ¦ Thank you

A/N: LMAO it's 7am (here where i live) and i havent slept a single minute this night. So here I am posting another chapter...😭
- - -

When I blink and open my eyes the following morning, Sunghoon is no longer lying next to me. Even his pillow and blanket have disappeared, leaving nothing to suggest that he was ever here. But the sheet still has his unmistakable smell clinging to it.

Slowly I sit up and look at the door, which is open a crack. Only now do I notice the clatter of dishes coming up to me from downstairs. A glance at the clock tells me that it is already shortly before ten.

I put on my robe before leaving the room. The wooden floor makes telltale sounds under my feet as I descend the stairs and approach Sunghoon. He has his back to me and is in the process of squeezing oranges.

When he notices me, he pauses but does not turn to face me. "You're awake," he states and continues squeezing the orange. Although Sunghoon doesn't see it, I nod and my eyes drift to the set dining table.

"You've prepared breakfast," I note in surprise. On the table is a bowl of scrambled eggs, a basket of fresh rolls, and spread and other toppings. Obviously, Sunghoon got all these things while I was still asleep.

"Looks like it," Sunghoon replies, filling two glasses with the just-pressed orange juice, which he finally places on the table. "Sit down," he casually commands me.

Without hesitation, I comply with this request and sit down on one of the two chairs. "How long have you been awake?", I ask him curiously. "Since a few hours," replies Sunghoon, who now also sits down at the table.

"Have a one." Complying with his request, I take one of the buns, which is still lukewarm, and cut it open to spread a thin layer of butter on both halves. "You really put a lot of effort into it," I say appreciatively and reach for the jar of strawberry jam.

Amused, Sunghoon watches me try unsuccessfully to open the glass. "Give it to me," he says, holding out his hand for the glass. "No, I can do it," I reply stubbornly and shake out my aching hand, only to make another attempt to unscrew the lid shortly afterwards. But this attempt is also unsuccessful.

With raised eyebrows and a smirk on his lips, Sunghoon examines me. Sighing, I slide the jar over to him and watch as he opens it with a single, loose twist of his wrist. "I pre-loosened it for you," I say with conviction. "Of course," Sunghoon replies with amusement, setting the open strawberry jam jar down in front of me.

"Thanks," I sigh, spreading jam on both halves of my bun. As I do so, I don't miss the way Sunghoon watches me steadfastly across the table. "Thank you," I say again, to which he raises his eyebrows in confusion.

"About tonight..." For a moment, his usually always tense features soften. "What did you dream?", Sunghoon wants to know, not taking his golden eyes off me. Nervously, I slide back and forth on my chair.

Clearing my throat, I reach for the glass and sip the orange juice Sunghoon freshly squeezed earlier. The intense taste wets my tongue and I screw up my face. "It doesn't matter," I reply, shaking my head.

"Tell me," Sunghoon prompts me gently. Sighing, I avert my gaze from Sunghoon, hoping he realizes I don't want to talk about it. But instead, he reaches across the table and lifts my face, making me look him in the eye again.

He doesn't say it out loud, but in my head, I can hear his voice telling me never to take my eyes off him when he's talking to me. However, it's not as easy as it sounds, because every time he looks at me so intently, it feels like he's just read all of my deepest secrets.... all of them. And that fills me with a heck of a lot of fear.

"A lot has happened," I begin, swallowing hard when Sunghoon continues to not let go of me and instead raises his eyebrows in invitation. "Just like you don't want to tell me about your mother, I don't want to tell you about my nightmares.... it's in the past anyway." "Yeosang?" asks Sunghoon cautiously.

Maybe he can read my mind after all.... The very idea terrifies me, so I immediately free my face from his grip and finally do avert my gaze from my counterpart with my lips pressed tightly together.

"Did you seriously feel something for him?" "No," I say a little too quickly. A telltale twinge in my heart, which Sunghoon fortunately cannot feel, reminds me of the feelings I had for Yeosang. Sunghoon sighs and leans back in his chair with his arms folded in front of his chest, eyeing me uncomprehendingly.

"You still have feelings for him, don't you?" Silently I look at my roll, from which I haven't taken a bite so far and probably won't, since I've already lost my appetite with this topic. I don't think I feel anything for Yeosang anymore. What he did to me was too much of a breach of trust.

"I can't believe it," Sunghoon sighs almost judgmentally. "That guy just wanted to use you and you continue to have feelings for him?"

Confused by Sunghoon's anger, I frown. "I was dreaming about Yeosang," I confess to him in the next breath. "About how he harassed me that night." Sighing, I close my burning eyes, which are gradually filling with tears. "And then I dreamed about my father...how he beat me up because I'm such a disappointment in his eyes."

"Forgive me," I hear Sunghoon's voice come through to me. "It's not my place to judge you...you've really suffered more than enough these past few weeks."

Hesitantly, I open my tear-filled eyes and direct them at Sunghoon, who returns my gaze with a serious expression. "I'll make you a promise-," he begins. "I won't let you ever get hurt again. Especially not by your father. I will not stand by and let this happen. If something like this happens again, I expect you to let me know immediately. Understood?"

His golden-brown eyes dart frantically back and forth on my face. "Understood?" he wants to know again, this time with much more emphasis. I nod slightly. "Understood," I murmur softly. Sunghoon carefully withdraws his hand and begins to eat his bun in silence.

A/N: Well i dunoo about you guys but i see some chemistry between them *evil smirk*