33 ¦ You knew

A/N: Thanks for 6K :)) And if it's confusing re-read the last chapter so you guys know where we left the story at last time. Now have fun and feel free to comment :))

- - -

I must have fallen asleep last night, because when I open my eyes, I find that I am no longer sitting huddled on Sunghoon's bedroom floor, but on the soft mattress of a bed. 

Sunghoon's bed. 

Sunghoon, who has his arm wrapped around my waist and whose warm breath I feel on my neck. Immediately, goosebumps assault me, spreading treacherously over my entire body. 

Careful not to wake Sunghoon, I lift his arm to free myself from under it. I stand up and take one last look at him. Unlike tonight, he now seems much more carefree and peaceful. 

I don't miss the opportunity to gently run my hand through his brown hair. My eyes linger on his slightly opened lips. Realizing how ridiculous I must look, I immediately withdraw my hand and turn my back on Sunghoon and get out of the bed. 

Just as I'm about to open the door, the sleepy voice of the young man who held me in his arms last night until I calmed down and finally fell asleep stops me. "Dolores," he says. Shit...

I squint my eyes and press my lips together before taking my hand off the doorknob and turning to Sunghoon, who is sitting upright in his bed, looking at me with concern out of his brown eyes. "How are you feeling?" he wants to know. 

Instead of saying anything back, I lower my eyes, because honestly, I don't know how I feel myself.  Right now, I'm not sure about anything. I can't even trust the people who have been with me all my life. 

"I'm so angry... and I feel so stupid," I whisper. Teresa, whom I have believed to be our housekeeper all these years, is my biological mother, while the woman I believed to be my mother... is no one. 

So far, the only reason that has led me to believe that she is my mother is an obviously forged birth certificate. Other than that, I've never had anything in common with this woman. At least now I know why. 

Sunghoon rises from his bed and walks toward me. When he finally stops in front of me, he hesitates briefly before putting a hand to my cheek. "I've met a lot of stupid people. And you're not one of them," Sunghoon says sweetly, brushing my brown hair behind my ear.

"I didn't realize that the woman who has always understood me best throughout my life is my mother," I inform Sunghoon. Tonight, I was too upset to tell him about this realization. But unlike what I expected, he doesn't seem particularly surprised by this news. "You knew," I state stunned after putting one and one together. 

Sunghoon pulls his hand away and lowers his eyes. With tears in my eyes, I push the young man away from me. "How long did you know about this?" "For a while now," Sunghoon admits to me honestly. "What does a while mean?", I want to know. "Since you were in the hospital," he replies. 

His golden eyes dart over my face and I think I detect a trace of regret in them. But it is long too late for remorse. "That Teresa and my mother still won't tell me the truth doesn't surprise me. But you...", I mutter, shaking my head.