15 ¦ Jealous

In the evening, Sunghoon and I go together to a beach restaurant, which is mainly filled with tourists. Since our little argument earlier, we have hardly exchanged a word with each other and also now we sit silently opposite each other.

While Sunghoon has already eaten his plate almost empty, I can hardly get a bite down because I'm thinking about how to start a conversation with him if possible.

"Excuse me," Sunghoon calls the waitress over as she passes by our table. This is a pretty young woman who looks Asian with tanned skin and dark, long hair which she has tied up in a high braid.

"Would you please bring me another glass of wine?" This is the fourth time he's asked for another glass. The waitress notes Sunghoon's request and looks at me. "Anything for you, too?" she wants to know, but I merely shake my head.

The waitress nods and disappears through the door behind the counter with Sunghoon's empty glass in her hand. A few minutes later, she returns with a full wine glass and sets it down in front of Sunghoon.

"Thank you," Sunghoon says, eyeing the pretty woman, who suddenly begins speaking to him in Korean. Sunghoon's lips form into a charming smile before he replies - also in Korean.

I don't understand a word, so I can only guess what they are talking about. It must obviously be pretty funny, because the waitress throws her head back laughing.

Sunghoon sips his glass and sets it down in front of him before approaching her a bit and saying something in Korean again. This time it almost sounds like he's flirting with her. And he's doing it in front of me??

The woman with dark hair gives me a quick glance before smiling at Sunghoon and winking at him. I only manage to hide with difficulty that I am angry and somehow also jealous.

Since this scenario has finally made me lose my appetite, I pepper my fork onto the plate and push it away from me. The waitress looks at me in surprise. "Are you full already?" she wants to know, and I nod.

"Wrap up the rest," Sunghoon finally asks the waitress again in English. "We'd like to pay then, by the way" "Of course", the pretty young woman replies and reaches for my plate.

She then disappears back into the door behind the counter, leaving Sunghoon and I alone. Silently, I lean back in my chair and avoid looking my counterpart in the eye.

With a disposable menu box in my hand, Sunghoon and I leave the restaurant, which is located just a few hundred meters from his uncle's vacation home right on the beach.

By now it is already dark outside. It is still pleasantly warm, which is why I am holding the blazer I took with me in my free hand. My thoughts are still with the pretty waitress Sunghoon flirted with in Korean earlier.

I should not care, but I simply do. Sunghoon is my future husband and just as he expects me not to kiss or flirt with other men at parties, I expect the same from him.

"Stop!", I hear a voice call out from behind us. At first I don't feel addressed, but then I feel a hand on my shoulder and stop to turn to the person standing in front of me with my blazer in his hand. Sunghoon is standing next to me and now turns around as well.

"You lost this one," says the person, a young man with tousled, wet hair and defined abs. "Oh," I say in surprise. If Sunghoon doesn't comply, why do I have to?

With a sly smile on my lips, I take my blazer from the young man and bite my lower lip as I eye his naked torso. Although it is almost dark, he has obviously been in the water until just now.

"Thank you," I add, intentionally flirting with him to provoke Sunghoon as much as he provokes me. First with the salesgirl in the bridal fashion store, now with the waitress in the restaurant. Now it's my turn.

The young man seems to notice that I'm flirting with him and squints with a questioning look in Sunghoon's direction, who so far has just been standing silently next to me with his arms folded behind his back, curiously observing what's going on.

I try to analyze what's going through his mind, but apparently he's thinking nothing of it so far. "Oh wow, you have really nice tattoos," I say, grabbing the young man's arm, which is covered in tattoos. One of them shows a snake and another a lion.

"Thank you," he replies, eyeing me. "And you are..." "My fiancée," Sunghoon suddenly speaks up, pulling me back by the arm before the young man with wet hair can finish his sentence. "And that's why you'd better go really far away really fast right now."

"Sorry," says the stranger, who admittedly looks really good, and raises his hands innocently. He then disappears just as quickly as he appeared.

I want to continue my way back to Sunghoon's uncle's house, but Sunghoon grabs me by the arm and pulls me back. "What the hell was that about?!" he asks, visibly irritated and making no effort to hide his anger.

"What do you mean?", I ask Sunghoon, who is still holding my arm, playing innocent. "What do I mean?" retorts Sunghoon irritably, snorting contemptuously. "You're flirting with some half-naked guy walking around and you're asking me what I mean?!"

"And what was that in the restaurant? With that waitress you're flirting with in Korean, even though I'm sitting right in front of you at the table and saw everything?", I now want to know from him, without answering his question.

"I wasn't flirting with her," Sunghoon replies, his breath smelling of red wine, and lets go of my arm. "Oh no?", I ask incredulously. If he wasn't flirting with her, what was he doing?

"No," he replies, sighing in annoyance before his eyes bore deeply into mine. "She said we made a handsome couple. I then told her we were engaged and she asked me where your ring was."

Ashamed, I lower my gaze and feel my cheeks heat up because all of a sudden I feel so ridiculous. But I really believed that he wanted to get one over on me because of what happened earlier, so I tried to do the same.

"I told her then that you're not officially engaged to me yet," Sunghoon continues, shrugging his shoulders. "Oh," I do, lowering my gaze with my lips pressed together. I feel like slapping myself right now for being so embarrassed.

"But this right now...," Sunghoon puts in, shaking his head. "You flirting with another man in front of me is something I never want to see again."

"Why? Did you get jealous?", I want to know from Sunghoon as we continue our walk. "Jealous?" he asks, snorting disdainfully. "No, of course not."

Something in him seems changed, and although he denies it, I can't shake the feeling that he is jealous after all.

The long car ride and the arguments and misunderstandings between Sunghoon and me have really tugged at my energy today.

"You're going to bed already?" asks Sunghoon when we arrive back at the cottage and I wish him a good night before heading upstairs.

Stopping in the middle of the dark wood lined stairs, I turn to him who is standing at the bottom of the stairs looking up at me questioningly. "If it's okay with you...", I murmur softly and lower my gaze.

"Of course," Sunghoon replies and shrugs indifferently, eyeing me one last time. "Sleep well, Dolores."

A/N: They're both jealous but don't admit it?🥲