2 ¦ Alone

For days now, I've done nothing but sit in my room and stare at the wall, brooding. My father won't let me out of the house because he's afraid I'll run away and his deal will fall through.

His fears are not unfounded, because if I had the opportunity, I would take it without hesitation. I don't care what happens to him and his goddamn company, which is based on lies and intrigue anyway. My father deserves this blowback. Just for what he is doing to me by forcing me into a marriage for his own benefit that I am not willing to enter into.

As a little girl, I spent hours imagining what my wedding would be like one day. I dreamed of meeting the love of my life and of being walked down the aisle by my father in my white dress, which I had already created in my own imagination down to the smallest detail.

But this dream of a foolish little girl has been shattered. Like a balloon being popped with a needle. With a loud, deafening bang.

All that's left are the shreds that can never be put back together. A soft knock on my door snaps me out of my thoughts. I quickly wipe my damp cheeks with the back of my hand. Before I can even say that I want to be alone, Teresa opens the door. Is it dinner time again?

But to my surprise, she doesn't enter my room, which I haven't left in days, as usual with a tray full of food, which I don't touch anyway. No. Her hands are empty.

"Your father demands that you come to the dining room to eat," Teresa explains to me, intimidated. I don't even like to imagine what an oppressive mood there must be and how much my father takes out his bad mood on Teresa, whom I've known all my life.

"Do I have to?", I ask less than enthusiastic about her words and avert my gaze from her. I'm not interested in sitting at a table with this man who pushes his daughter around like an object as it suits him.

"Your father specifically requests it," Teresa replies in a thin voice. She stands rooted to the door, not daring to look me in the face. "Mr. Park is visiting and he also wishes you to appear"

When Teresa mentions Sunghoon's name, my empty stomach turns and I feel like I'm going to vomit even though I've hardly eaten anything for the past few days. "I'm not hungry, would you please deliver this for me?", I ask Teresa.

Of course I know there's no way my father will be satisfied with that answer, but just the thought of sitting at a table with these people and pretending it's the most normal thing in the world disgusts me. "All right," Teresa murmurs, nodding in agreement. She then pulls the door shut behind her and I am alone again.

My gaze wanders to my window. The thought of jumping out has crossed my mind a few times, but it's about three and a half meters to the bottom. I'd probably break my leg, so it would be a failed escape attempt that wouldn't really bring me much more than additional trouble.

Sighing, I reach for my cell phone. I swore to my father that I wouldn't tell anyone about this business, because I can't get out, my cell phone is all I have left to keep in touch with my friends.

I take a look at my screen and realize that I have some unread WhatsApp messages from Yeosang and my best friend Leela.

Yeosang: You'll be there tomorrow, right?

Yeosang: I, at least, would be very happy.

Tomorrow is Yeosang's 20th birthday. And I won't be there to celebrate it with him. We met about half a year ago at a house party of Leela's cousin Aron. Since then, we've been spending time together more often.... Until now, at least. Now I probably won't see Yeosang, or Leela ever again.