31 ¦ All the people I've ever loved

A/: Y'all these concepts pictures from enhypen are killing me... I'm so excited for the new songs and guess who pre-ordered all 3 albums and one ENGENE vers... :))

- - -

Although Sunghoon and I have been avoiding each other for the most part since our last conversation a week ago, he agreed to accompany me to the doctor today because I am supposed to have my stitches removed today. 

We have been sitting in the waiting room for over an hour now, keeping silent, when a physician's assistant pokes her head into the room. "Mrs. Rey, please," she calls me up. 

Nervously, I rise from my chair and give Sunghoon a quick glance. "I'll wait here," the young man replies with his arms folded in front of his chest, keeping his gaze directed out the floor-to-ceiling window that offers a view of the city. 

After my stitches are pulled, Sunghoon and I leave the doctor's office and head back to the nearby parking lot where he has parked his black Bentley. The heat of today is stifling, so I am all the more relieved when we finally sit in the car and Sunghoon turns on the air conditioning. 

The cool air fills the car, in which it is even hotter than outside. Also, the entire drive we just sit there in silence and it drives me crazy.

"Sunghoon," I break the silence when we finally arrive back at his house half an hour later and Sunghoon finally pulls his car into the garage. "Huh?" he merely makes and turns off the engine, whereupon he unbuckles his seatbelt.

"Thanks for coming with me today," I thank him and unbuckle my seatbelt as well. Instead of saying anything back, he merely remains silent and I realize there's no point in putting my energy into a one-sided conversation. 

"We should go inside," Sunghoon says in a deliberate voice. "You've been avoiding me completely for a week.... You barely talk to me anymore, you can't even stand to be near me," I begin in a shaky voice. I'm starting to get really tired of Sunghoon's constant mood swings. 

"I just can't take it anymore." Hoping for an answer, I look at him. But instead of saying anything back, he folds his hands and places them on his lap. He directs his gaze out the window and stares silently at the white garage wall. 

"Okay, all right," I say disappointedly and open the passenger door. I quickly step out of the garage, feeling the tears forming in my eyes slowly obscuring my vision. Sunghoon does not follow me. Therefore, I open the front door and slam it shut right behind me. 

Although my mother and Teresa are already greeting me in the hallway, I rush past them and run straight upstairs to the guest room, where I begin to pack my bag. Sunghoon doesn't want me here? Then I'll just go home to my father, who doesn't want me either. 

I can't stand being under the same roof as Sunghoon for a second longer. "What are you doing?" Teresa has followed me into the guest room, watching stunned as I pack my bag. "I'm packing," I reply stating the obvious. "Why?" she wants to know. "I'm going home," I reply, stuffing a black wrap dress with purple flowers into my suitcase. 

"Does Sunghoon know about your plan?" continues Teresa. "He doesn't care," I conclude. He's not talking to me anyway because he doesn't want me near him. 

"He does care," Sunghoon, of all people, speaks up, appearing behind Teresa in the doorway. 

Immediately, Teresa takes a step aside to allow Sunghoon to enter the room. "Leave us alone, please, Teresa." His face reflects pure anger, and although he appears threatening, Teresa leaves me alone with him shortly after. 

"Stop packing," Sunghoon urges me with a sigh. But I don't even think about it. I don't stay under the same roof as him for a second longer. 

Silently, I stow two more dresses in the suitcase when suddenly I feel Sunghoon grab my arm, making me pause. "Let go of me, Sunghoon," I say in a calm voice without looking him in the eye. I don't want him to see the disappointment in my eyes. But Sunghoon makes no move to let go of me, so I annoyedly try to free myself from his grip.

"Stop packing and stay here," Sunghoon puts in. His voice sounds much calmer now, and yet a certain determination resonates in it. "Why?", I snort. "So you can continue to ignore me and make me feel like you don't want me here?" 

"So you can be safe, damn it!" roars Sunghoon. Startled, I flinch and stop in front of him, frozen. My eyes fixed on the overstuffed suitcase fill with tears. He's probably never yelled at me so aggressively before, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare me.

"Do you think this is all a fucking joke?! You can't come back to a house by being beaten within an inch of your life, Dolores. Damn it, don't you think at all?!" Not knowing what to say, I just continue to stand motionless. Sunghoon grabs me by the shoulders and turns me in his direction so that I am now standing directly in front of him. Still holding the dress that I wanted to put in the suitcase earlier. 

"Stay here" It's more of a request than a plea. His words seem determined and it doesn't look like I have any other choice in his eyes. "What did I do wrong anyway, so that you've been avoiding me for over a week!", I ask, not hiding how much it bothers me. 

All I want is for Sunghoon to come clean. I don't want to be put off with a half answer, a lie, or mere silence. I want a real answer. "Nothing," Sunghoon answers dryly. "Then why are you ignoring me?", I ask agitatedly, lifting my gaze to look him in the brown eyes that return my stare with that cool expression again. 

"Because I don't want to hurt you," he replies, loosening his grip on my shoulders to take a step backward. At this, Sunghoon looks distinctly tense. 

"What are you even talking about?", I ask, raising my eyebrows. Confused, I look at Sunghoon, who continues to return my gaze coolly. But suddenly something changes in his eyes. They glaze over and his pupils dilate. 

"I'm an emotional wreck, Dolores," Sunghoon begins softly. His voice doesn't seem as firm as usual. It trembles... "All the people I've ever loved have either died or left me." 

Not knowing what to say, I lower my gaze. It's strange to see Sunghoon, who usually acts so indifferent and untouchable, so vulnerable. I feel sorry for him. "I'm afraid of losing you too," Sunghoon confesses to me, and the heart in my chest skips a beat. 

"You can't lose something you've never had," I say, my voice no more than a soft whisper. Obviously, my words are right on target, because Sunghoon lowers his gaze and is silent for a moment before looking me in the eye again. 

"You're right, I've never had you," he finally replies. Suddenly, he approaches me by a step and looks back and forth between me and the suitcase. "But I beg you to stay." 

And I do. I stay.

A/N: Did he just indirectly say that he loves her????