heartslabyul

"You look shady enough, come with me." is the first thing Lucien heard at dawn. He is grabbed by the shoulders by this guy who claimed to be named Cyro from Octavinelle. It's rare to see a senior, A.KA. fourth year. The longer they walk, the dizzier Lucien will get. He's getting thoughts about weird things. Is he going to be a lab rat? -or something along those lines. Turns out Cyro and his friends need a dealer for playing blackjack. It's a huge load off his shoulders. He's not dying any moment now, eh?

Composing himself, Lucien tried and remembered what he looks right now. He looks normal? Nothing out of ordinary. Just... a very normal-looking student. Maybe Cyro-senpai has optical issues?  This person, out of the blue, just decided he looks shady enough to be a dealer? At least not a drug dealer of some sort... so that's kind of reassuring? Whoa, just... questions.

Lucien spent most of his time alone. He used his time discovering and learning things to find the most suitable one for him. To find what he likes the most. The problem is that he gets easily bored doing the same thing after acquiring average skills. Lucien is still yet to find something he likes doing most. Lucien did teach himself gambling rules, card shuffling, techniques, and strategies. He gave up playing card games after losing too much to A.I.

"Senpai... you aren't even sure if I can do the job correctly." Lucien scratched his cheeks, "A-also, I think I'm not shady?" Lucien picked up two decks of cards and started shuffling. "So, did everyone already place their bets?" Lucien asked while doing the card spring.

Lucien is just using his muscle memory and stock knowledge. You know, about the game and all. He got curious about cards when he read a novel that revolves around a magician and his card tricks. He's a little upset that time when he can't understand the terminations and tactics being used when the magician is playing that one game called 'Fighting the Landlords.'

Lucien's seniors exclaimed amused and started introducing themselves one by one. Cyro is proud, "When I saw you, I know you're the one, he he." 

Lucien is not flustered with the compliment. How amazing that is? Appraising someone's capability based on appearance. Trucking detrimental.

Maybe it's an inside joke?

---

"Hun, why you got to be cheating on me! I'm so tired of this, I want a divorce!" Cyro is pointing at Lucien, accusing him of cheating. The dealer winning in blackjack is not unheard of, but this is a whole new different level! Lucien hoarded all of their money before running away, his reasoning: it's time for classes. Still, Cyro is sulking that Lucien emphasized the words, "You are so dum it's affecting your eye function."

In actuality, Lucien said, "Uhm, th-there's no evidence?" but Cyro translated it into his own words. 

There are times when people accidentally cheat. That's what happened, Lucien accidentally cheats every round. He didn't mean to see what's the card whilst shuffling. It just happened. Lucien memorized the series of cards the moment he had taken an accident glance like he has an excellent memory or some sheet. But then again, it's all just temporary and he'll forget about it later on like he has dementia.

---

At lunch, Lucien is wandering around the library, scanning for a new book to read. That's when he stumbled upon a... senior -what's up with seniors today- who's crying in front of his books. His name is Antoine Millian. Maybe Antoine thought that Lucien is just a product of his imagination as he, Antoine, open up his problems to Lucien. His problems include on how he can clearly see his little brother Alfred struggling yet he can't do anything about it. It affects his focus on his studies. Their conversation is cut short when Alfred appeared before them. He who, by the look on his face, heard everything. 

The first thing Lucien wanted to do is run. What hole did he enter? Like... for real, he's invading their personal life. He's just an outsider. Lucien never had friends so not even once he thought about making people aware of their family problems. Not everyone can be as open as someone from anybody's fantasy. Not anyone had the courage to speak up. Not everyone thinks it's okay just to dump problems on their close friends. You know, it's kind of included in novels most of the time. Party A will confess a past problem and party B would say they could have been informed. They could have helped, they could have been there for party A. We all know that party A thinks their decision is for the best of both sides. Just drama things and so on.

"Uhm, let's sort this out of the library, c-can we?" but the Millian brothers are already talking their hearts out to each other, and all Lucien can do is make the other people inside leave. He asked nicely... it's for the sake of privacy and Lucien has no intention of others hearing these private things being spewed out one after another. He can be confident if he needs to be.

 Lucien thinks that he made a mistake when he shared his opinion before he leaves. "But rules are just for prevention? W-well, I mean, both senpais probably heard o-of the phrase p-prevention is better than cure-?" 

Lucien did hear the other two argue about the Heartslabyul house rules. Alfred started accusing Antoine of giving him the title 'Heartslabyul's Dorm Head.' Lucien also felt the pain when Antoine dropped a bomb. "Isn't that what you want? You are a stuck-up and all."

Alfred knows that he himself never wanted that position, still, he's doing his best. He strived for the better and become a little more selfless than ever. He gets told it is his fault for wanting it and for being stuck up at the end of the day. His bottled frustrations become wild, and he knows he might not be able to control himself.

Alfred abruptly stands up and leaves. "No, no, no, no, no! I made a mistake-" Antoine whimpered. "It's not supposed to end that way."

"Please resolve it soon..." Lucien's voice sounded desperate. Living with a lot of brothers made him accept the fact that they won't get along together all the time. They also won't be able to hate each other to the point of no return. They know the fact that they only have each other to depend on. 

"Do you... Do you want to accompany this senpai half-breaking the rules?"

Lucien's mouth opened a little. What? Half-breaking the rules?

---

"We're just going to color the roses red." Antoine readies his magical pen.

"There's an unbirthday party?" Lucien asked eagerly.

"How did you know about unbirthday parties?" "Yes." 

Antoine is seemingly a professional at this thing. They finished it within lunch break, and Antoine mostly did the job. Lucien is amazed. As Cater quoted, this view is very 'gramable.' Satisfied with his taken photo he heard Antoine whisper, "Breaking rules... it's..." he quickly snatched Lucien's wrist and ran while shouting, "BAT SHEET CRAZY! LET'S MAKE A RUN FOR OUR HEADS!"

"wha? WHA? WHAT???" 

"Unbirthday party is scheduled in December!" 

"I need an explanation, senpai!"

The Millian brothers often get into fights with each other but it's rare for fights as intense as this. Antoine being the big brother he is, would give Alfred red roses as a form of apology.

One thing is for sure, Alfred will hunt down that guy who posted the rose maze with red roses in Magicam this same day.