Memories

Jake's POV:

Coyote and I walk up to my parents house. We were being deployed down in Texas in about three days, so we decided to stay with my parents. I open the front door clutching my duffel bag that's hanging in my shoulder, Coyote following me.

"Ma' I'm home!" I shout.

I see my parents come out of the kitchen. My mom opens her arms and gives me a big hug. My dad follows suit.

"This must be your friend." My mom said turning to Coyote.

"Thank you for letting me stay here Mrs. Seresin." Javy replied.

"Please, mama, that's what everyone calls me."

"Why don't y'all go set down your bags upstairs and get refreshed for dinner." My dad says returning to the kitchen with my mom.

I walk up the stairs and walk down the hall opening the last door. It was just like how I left it when I was 18 years old. My queen size bed was in the far wall in the window. My dresser with a mirror was on the same wall that the door was on. My closet was in the opposite wall from the window and there was a chair in the corner.

(This is my beautiful drawing)

I set my bag down in my bed and watch Coyote looking at all my photos on my wall and in my mirror. One must of gotten attention because he looked at it closely.

"Who's Yn?" He asks me looking at a photo.

I go up to him and see him looking at a photo of Yn and I. Yn was in my back and I was holding her up. We went to the carnival, you could see the Ferris Wheel in the back lit up in the night sky. On the bottom of the photo Yn's handwriting wrote, 'I love you! -Yn"

I chuckled at the memory.

"She's all over this wall dude." Coyote says grimacing at the whole wall.

"She was my girlfriend back in high school. We started dating like eighth grade." I told him.

"She's the one that you have I picture in your helmet right?"

"Yeah."

"What happened? Last time I recalled you are a single man."

"I'm our senior year, there was a school shooting and she didn't make it. If that never happened I know that we would've gotten married right out of high school."

*flashback*

Yn and I walked the halls going towards our next class we had together.

"Okay," she said going in front of me walking backwards, "so I was thinking."

"Should I be worried?" I joked.

"Nah, I was thinking that you and I after graduation, could go on a road trip. Go and hike, go to the beach, camp. The best thing is, we don't have to come home. We could just travel until you go into the Navy."

"We don't know if I even got accepted yet."

"I just know-" she was cut off due to a bang.

Everyone stopped in tracks, making me walk into Yn a little bit. We all looked at each other. There was another bang, this time someone screamed. Every person in the hall tried to get into a classroom.

Yn and I get jerked around as we couldn't get into a classroom. Another bang went off. I finally grabbed Yn's hand and ran to the bathroom. I didn't care that it was the boys and she wasn't one. We didn't have our books because we dropped them a while ago.

"Jake." Yn whispered. Her head was down. Her remaining hand was hovering over her stomach.

"Yn." My voice cracked at seeing the blood.

I locked the bathroom door and sat her down on the far wall.

"Jake it hurts." She said tears in her eyes.

"I-I don't know what to do." I fumbled around.

"H-hold m-me?"

I pulled her between my legs, so she was lying down, head on my lap. She looked up at me as I looked down at her. My hands were on her wound trying to stop as much flow of blood.

Both her and I's hands were covered in blood shaking.

"Y-you know when someone is d-dying, they k-know that they're n-not going to make i-it?" She says quietly.

"Don't say that." I say shaking my head softly. "You're g-going to be f-fine."

"Jake...I-I don't want to d-die."

"You're not. You're gonna be fine. We both will. We're going to graduate a-and go on a road trip. W-we're gonna go to the beach, hike, camp, whatever you want. A-and we might not come home. We might j-just stay out there."

"U-until you go into the Navy?"

"Yeah." I said quietly.

A few minutes pass, a few more bangs here and there. They stopped for a while as police sirens fill the air. But then bullets go off like crazy. The soon stop.

The entire time I hold Yn close.

"J-Jake, I-I love y-you." Yn says putting her hand in my cheek.

"I-I love you Yn. Always." I tell her I bend down and give her one last kiss.

Her eyes close, her breathing slows down.

"Yn?" I start shaking her. "Yn? Yn wake up! This isn't funny!" I shout pulling her body close to me. "Please?" I cry into her head, limp arms around my lap. I kiss her head.

Blood surrounds us. Whether it was a puddle or it was smeared, there was blood everywhere. The bathroom door is broken into.

I keep her close to me only to see a police man kneeling in front of me.

"Son? You're safe, he's gone. Can you set her down for me?" He says softly.

I give one last kiss in her forehead. I set her down and stand up. "She's dead." I say unemotional.

"I know son, I know. Let's get you out of here."

He walked me out of the bathroom. Kids were lined up along the lockers crying. Most of them looked at me as they saw blood covering my body. I kept my head down.

Once I got to an ambulance, they gave me a blanket since it was winter, and they made sure h was fine.

"Jake?" Someone called. "Jake?" I say my mom and dad looking around working. My dad pointed me out to my mom. They sprinted towards me, I got up and cried in my mom and dads arms.

"She's gone. She got shot. Yn's dead." I cried in their arms for what seemed like hours. I took about a month off of school and everything. Trying to wrap my head around the point she was gone.

Eventually I went back to school and tried to get my mind refocused. When I got the letter saying that I was accepted into the Navy I decided then. I was going to do it for Yn.

*end of flashback*

"I am so sorry Hangman." Coyote spoke.

"It's fine, it was years ago." I walked out of my room heading downstairs as my mom called us for dinner.   

.