Cross

Jakes POV:

I step out of my tuck that was parked on the side of the road. Carrying the flowers in my hand, the Sunflowers and the white flowers shimmered in the sun. I stepped onto the sidewalk and walked over to the patch of grass in the park. It wasn't really a park, it was more so an acre or two of land in the middle of town that people would picnic or hang out at.

The white cross comes into view. The reason I was here. The vertical wooden post was about two feet high with the name of the girl I loved, painted on it in black paint. One the left side of the horizontal post, it had painted on it, "Rest in Peace". While the other side said "June 8, 2015".

It laid in a bed of white rocks that was covered with flowers, a small teddy bear, and bracelets. I stand in front of it, slowly I squat down setting the bouquet of her favorite flowers on the cross. I propped them on the cross so they stood up. Running my hands against the wood, I kiss my two fingers and place them in the wood.

She died for another person. She saw a girl crossing the street and a car zooming. Knowing that it wouldn't slow down, she ran into the street pushing the girl out of the way. She didn't get out of the way in time. That day became a memorable day in our small town.

Only three hundred people in the small town. Word spread around like rapid fire. Everyone knew everyone. We all loved each other. It was like this great big family. The town adored her. She was so selfless. Came from the most caring family and carried that trait with her. She went out of her way to help anyone and everything.

I stood up, not taking my eyes off of the cross. People walked behind me on the sidewalk, I could practically feel them staring at me. I could even hear them whispering as they walked by.

Six years ago today. Today was the day that I hated the most out of the whole year. She was the love of my life. She gave her life today. She was walking around while on spring break from college visiting her and my family. While I was still on my way back from the Naval Academy.

Shoving my hands in my pockets, I found myself not being able to take my eyes off of the cross.

"Did you know her?" A raspy voice asked beside me.

I looked to my right, an old man with a cane took off his veteran hat and looked down at the cross. Looking back down, "yeah, years ago. Once upon a time."

"How did you know her?"

"We were getting married, that summer. High school sweethearts." I smiled at the last three words.

"Everyone loved her."

"How could they not?"

"I don't know son."

"She was gonna change the world. Big dreams, she always would tell me, 'one day, I'm gonna leave an unforgettable mark on this Earth that everyone will look back at and everyone in this town would be able to say, hey I knew her.'" I smile at the memory looking at the cross once more.

"She already did that I believe. She got her wish." The old man patted my shoulder.

He started to walk away, "God bless you sir, thank you for your service."

"Thank me? Thank you for your service."

He smiled and walked off. He must've picked up that the truck behind me with the Navy stickers was mine. I turn back to the cross, sighing. Luckily I was able to get a leave this week to visit my family. I was actually on my way home to surprise everyone.

"Jake is that you?" Someone says.

I turn my head once more and see my older sister, Harper. "Harper?" I say surprised. I give her a hug.

"What are you doing here? We though you were still in Washington."

"Got a week off to surprise y'all."

"Everyone's gonna be so happy!" Her face lights up.

"Yeah I guess so." I try to stay happy in this moment.

"Hey what's wrong?" She looks around and most likely sees the cross. Her face softens, "oh Jake."

"I wanted to see her I guess."

"Why don't we go home?"

"Okay." She leads me to my truck before saying.

"I have my own car, so I'll meet you at the house."

"Okay, see you then." Hadley walks off, I turn the key.

I look to my tight for the last time. My eyes get a little watery. Even through it was years ago, it was still an extremely hard day for me. I didn't just lose her. I lost my fiancé. I lost my best friend. I lost my partner in crime. I lost my person. I lost my Yn.

I turn the wheel getting on the road, and soon met the fort road ten minutes later that lead to my childhood house. A smile creeps up on my face as I get reminded of the hundreds of memories. I saw Harper's car already parked. She told me a week ago when I called her that she was staying at the house with Mama and Pa for work.

Getting out of the car, I close the drivers side and get my bag. I knew that I was always welcome back home to stay for however long I wanted. I walk up to the front door and walk in. I was greeted with the scent that I loved.

"Mama? Pa?" I tell out.

"Jake?!?!" I hear my Mama call out. Hearing her steps, I'm greeted with my Mama coming out of the kitchen with an apron on. My Pa followed her, he was in his work cloths, boots still on.

My Mama practically tackled me in a hug. Once she pulled away she cupped my face like she did when I was younger. "Oh my boys home."

I smiled as I bring my Pa into a hug. "What are you doing here?" He asks.

"Got a week off of work. Thought I'd come back home." I glanced up and saw Harper leaning against the wall. She knew the real reason why I was here. I didn't lie when I said home, but she knew what home I was truly meaning.

"The Lord has answered our prayers." My Mam tilted her head back eyes closed, looking up, talking God.

She took me into a side hug and lead me to the kitchen. The food warmed my heart. How I missed my Mama's food.

I spring up from the horrible dream. I sat on my bed, pushing my hair out of my sweaty face. Labored breathing casted itself in the once quiet room. Almost pitch black, I glance at the clock on Yn's nightstand, 1:37.

Putting my elbows on my lap, I set my head in my hands.

"Jake? Are you okay?" A small voice asked beside me and a tiny hand rubbed on my shoulder soothingly.

I looked over to see my beautiful wife that I needed to see. "Yeah I'm okay."

"Are you sure? You're sweating." She takes the thin blanket and wipes my forehead.

"Yeah, I'm perfect. It was just a stupid dream."

"A little too realistic?" She asks, looking at my cheek while she rubbed it with her thumb.

"You know how it is."

"I'm sorry, I know how much those suck." She pulls me into her. But because of her petite sizes it feels and probably looks like I'm the one hugging her.

She laid back down, me following her motions. I laid my head on the bid right beside her as she played with my hair. My hands wondered to her swollen stomach. Pushing her (my) shirt up to the top of her stomach I crease it. Everything was fine. Everything was just fine.

I listened to her small breaths as they got slower and slower, telling me that she's already fallen asleep. I gently kiss her stomach, before facing Yn's sleeping face. I relaxed even more knowing she was right here with me.

Kissing her forehead, I pull her into me, as much as possible. I held her slide to me as I drifted off to sleep before I would have to wake up in four hours for work.

.