New Teamate

Jakes POV:

My squadrons Admiral let me come in an hour late since I just got back to Texas from Top Gun. I opened the doors and walked inside to the admirals office to see what I need to do. He simply told me to go to the hanger. We apparently are doing a dogfighting exercise. Pfft, like we need the practice.

I see all my old buddies sitting around a radio listening into the pilots flying right now. Coyote beat me to the base and he's talking to a few of our friends. I go over and pull a whole bunch of them into hugs.

"Who's up in the air right now?" I ask sitting down.

"That would be our new teammate. Raptor." Archer answered me.

"Raptor? What kind of call sign is that?" I joke looking out the huge door of the hanger I saw two planes in the air. One behind the other. The one in front speeds up and preforms a cobra maneuver. "Shit."

"That Hangman, that is Raptor." Archer said patting my shoulder.

"Hey Charlie? I believe that's a kill." A girls voice rings through the hanger.

"Good job, go back to base Lt. Kazansky."

"Kazansky?" I question.

"The one and only."

"Copy that sir."

The Tarmac shook a little as the so called Raptor drove her plane to her spot. I hugged and at down by Coyote as Archer went up.

My eyes follow the girl walks in from the tarmac enters the hanger with all her flight gear hanging from her suit. A helmet that had 'RAPTOR' laminated across the front, while the outline of an actual raptor sits on the back. Her hair was disheveled from flying, some strands stuck to her face because of the sweat. Eve though she just got down from flying she looked gorgeous.

I watched as she gave Baby a high five into a hug. She laughed at something she said before setting her eyes towards Coyote and I. "You must be Hangman and Coyote." She went to shake our hands. She shook Coyotes hand first then mine, her hand was so small compared to mine. "I'm Yn Kazansky, but please call me Raptor."

"Kazansky?" Coyote asks.

"Yep."

"I'm sorry for your loss. We were up there for work and we went to his funeral." I told her.

"Please don't, it seems to be the only thing people tell me now days. It's time to let go." She had the same piercing eyes and smile as her father.

"My bad."

"It's alright." I watched as she sat on the couch and brought a leg up and started playing with dog tags around her neck. She looked like she had something in her mind but I didn't mind to ask her about it.

Coyote spoke up, "how old are you Kazansky?"

Her head shot up, "26 last Monday."

"Happy late birthday."

Last Monday was when her dad passed away, I thought to myself.

"Thank you."

"I saw your flying, where did you learn that?" I asked her.

"My dad. It turns out when you continuously do it, it becomes muscle memory. It's gotten me all my air to air kills."

"How many do you have?"

"Seven."

"Wow, impressive."

"Yeah I guess."

Once we were dismissed for the day, everyone fled to the locker room. I waited for a shower to open up and saw someone drop off a box by Yn's locker. I saw her come out in a pair of leggings and an older Top Gun sweatshirt. I pushed myself off my locker and went over to her.

"Someone dropped that off while you were in the shower,everyone has already left."

"Oh thank you." She grabs the box and sits down on the bench while I go to take a shower.

Yn's POV:

I take out my car keys and open the box and see a build a bear inside of it. I grab it and set the box on the floor. I run my hands over the bear as I stop at the paws. I felt a little button so I pressed it.

My dads voice filled my ears.

"Happy birthday my little June bug. Guess you aren't too little anymore huh? I still remember you running outside of the house in nothing but your diaper to come and say hi to me when I got home. Where did the time go? I wish you the best day ever. I love you to the moon and back.

Love dad."

My eyes get glossy before tears run down my cheeks. I did not need this today. I saw something shiny still in the box so I pick it up and see my dads old dog tags. He always knew how I loved to steal them when I was younger and sleep with them.

I sigh before standing up and grabbing everything and run out of the locker rooms, down to Sliders office. I knew he was still gonna be here. I opened the door, his head shot up to mine. He stood up and walked over from his desk when he saw my teary eyes.

"Yn what's wrong?" He spoke putting his hands in my shoulders. Slider was my dads old WSO and my godfather.

"This arrived today. It's from my dad."

"Oh sweetie."

"It gets worse." I play the message for him.

Slider hugs me as I sob into his shirt. I stay like this until I compose myself. "I'm sorry." I tell him wiping my tears.

"Don't be. He was your father."

"Thank you Slid, I'm gonna go home."

"Okay, text me when you get home okay?"

"Yeah of course." I roll my eyes playfully before exiting his office and back to the locker rooms. I grab my bag and put everything back into the box, carting it out to my car. While I'm loading my car I see Jake go over to his truck.

I close my trunk before going over to him. He notices me and stops to turn his attention to me.

"I normally don't do this. Like at all. But uh- I was wondering if you would want to go out for dinner sometime soon?" I asked nervously, fiddling with my keys.

"I would love that.

Once again, I don't really like this one. I've lost inspiration to finish this draft.