Chapter 63

I'll be By Edwin McCain

(No perspective, Ruby age 5 December 12th, 2002)

It was a dark chilly gloomy morning on this December day.

Ruby was heading to school soon, but still sound asleep because she was up last night helping her mother bake cookies for the parent school banquet.

Well, her baking for a five year old means mixing the dough.

"Sweetie" Her mother Grace calls out to her opening the door to wake her up. "You have school soon"

"Mommy, I'm still sleepy," Ruby says in a cute yawn stretching her arms up. "I love school, but do I have to go in today?"

"Yes Ruby you have to go to school, education is very important," Her mother says while kissing her forehead. "I let you sleep in a little bit longer since you were helping me bake last night, and tonight is the banquet school dinner so I can't get questions if you're not in school today"

Ruby was gonna say just tell them she's sick, but then thinking about it she loves her mother too much she's very right about this.

"And while your father and I are out tonight you're having a sleepover with your best friend Samantha," her mother says tapping Ruby's tiny nose. "You don't wanna miss that now do you?"

"No never" Ruby cheerfully says getting up. "She says we're gonna built a fort, and she has a movie theater in her house, that's pretty cool we should get one, can we?"

"Sure honey, maybe one day we will have that," Her mother says thinking to herself but that'll probably never happen to them.

Ruby and her parents live in an apartment complex in manhattan. They aren't the richest people or the poorest just somewhere in between.

Her friends are a lot wealthier than her and she sees that, but she doesn't mind she knows she has food on the table, a roof over her head, and she's healthy, that's all that truly matters in the end.

After that Ruby gets all dressed up in her adorable blue sweater and jeans with her favorite brown uggs, her mother always picks out her clothes for school.

Then when she's done she brushes her teeth then heads to the kitchen to eat her breakfast on the countertop with both her parents.

"You made pancakes!" Ruby says in excitement. "And it's chocolate chip! Okay this is gonna be a great day you know how much I love pancakes and chocolate"

"Oh honey we know, good morning," Ruby's Dad Leo says kissing her cheek as her dad helps her up on the stool.

She's 6 years old and still short for her age but she manages just fine.

"Well? How do they taste? perfect as ever? " Her mother asks smiling.

"So perfect! I can eat twenty" Ruby says shoving a piece of pancake in her face. "I think we should have pancakes every morning"

"Is that so?" Her father laughs putting the newspaper down to go by his wife and kissing her on the cheek. "Grace, we should give her the present now I can't wait for this much longer"

Ruby was confused about what he meant but also she's the cutest because she looks like a chipmunk with food in her mouth. She sees her mom take out a velvet box and hands it over to Ruby.

"What's this mommy?" Ruby asks holding the tiny box up with pink wrapping paper.

"Well sweetheart it's something special, your father and I picked it out, go ahead and open it," Grace says.