Thirty-Five

Most people are in bed at 3 a

Most people are in bed at 3 a.m. most people are up on their phones scrolling through their social media apps but they're still in bed.

Where was Adeline?

In bed—where else would she be? At Reign's house trying to get her to come outside because she missed her? What...no, of course not.

It did cross her mind but she didn't have time for that as of the moment because she was worrying about Lucas.

He hasn't been home in 2 days and she was the only person that was starting to realize.

She hadn't seen him at school, he could have been doing anything right about now.

Or he could have been in trouble.

Adeline sighed before tossing the blankets off of her body and walking downstairs towards the kitchen.

She hated being such a good person. It was all Reign's fault for that.

She tied her hair up in a ponytail before grabbing the keys and opening the house door.

To her luck, she didn't have to go anywhere. Lucas was on the front porch crying.

Adeline could smell the toxic chemicals that he must have inhaled earlier.

"Lucas...what's going on?" Adeline asked as she walked out of the house and stood next to him.

He looked up at her with tears in his eyes before getting up and throwing his arms around his sister and bringing her into a hug.

"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for being a shitty brother and ruining your relationship with Jacob and then giving you the dirty looks for being with Reign. I'm just jealous."

Adeline was a little confused but she returned the hug. "Jealous? Lucas...if anything. I'm jealous of you. You have this perfect life and you get to spend everyday with Reign. Mother doesn't want me around her. Besides, the whole Jacob thing...you took him off my hands."

Lucas pulled back, "But you don't care what mother thinks. I have to care. Dad doesn't love me and you hate me...who else will be there for me."

Adeline scoffed, "Hate you? Lucas you're my fucking my brother. I love you with all my heart. Sure you piss me off but that's what all siblings do. They piss each other off and they get over it. It's just sibling rivalry."

Lucas shook his head, "I don't understand. I did so much bad things to you. Why don't you hate me? I hate me."

Adeline sighed before wrapping her arm around her brother shoulders and leading him back into the house. "I can't hate you. I'm the reason you act this way. We're supposed to be siblings...not enemies. I don't want you to hate yourself, because then I will hate myself for making you feel that way."

Lucas nodded, "I will be a better brother. I promise." Lucas assures.

"I will too. But we need to get you upstairs to your room before dad catches you and then I can't be here to help you." Adeline says as they started to walk up the stairs.