Chapter 33 - Unsettling

Reiji was leaning over his desk, his room only illuminated by the antique lamp and the open laptop in front of him. He was finishing up schoolwork as well as what you might call "extracurricular" hobbies. Feeling a bit of drowsiness setting in, the teen lifted his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose, letting out a needed sigh. Noticing the time on his computer, he saw it was just after midnight. Shiro should have started his watch over (Y/N). After what happened with Yukio, he and the other boys decided it would be best to set up a temporary watch rotation. Reiji had no reason to suspect that the others would be as bold as Yukio, at least for now. He knew that the longer that (Y/N) stayed, the more tension would build up within the house, each boy wanting her for himself. But for now, they had all come to the agreement that it would be better to share her amongst themselves rather than with the world.

Reiji pulled up a file on his laptop. It contained various pictures he and the others had gotten of her. He smiled longingly at them, impatient to be alone with the girl so that she would finally submit herself to him.

However, before the boy could daydream, he heard loud footsteps run past his room and down the back staircase, continuing to thump to the main floor loudly. Reiji leapt out of his seat, rushing to his door to investigate what was going on. He opened it up to the hallway just in time to hear the door leading to the backyard open. The teen immediately felt himself heat up with rage and anxiety, fearing the worse. Confirming his fears, he looked to the right, witnessing the horrifying sight of (Y/N)'s bedroom door left ajar.

Reiji rushed down the stairs, his eyebrows furrowed as he cursed himself for not being more careful. (Y/N) wasn't supposed to be able to escape their grasp. Each one of them was undoubtedly more powerful than her, even that spineless shrimp Shiro. He ran through the open doors that led outside, already being overtaken by his anger. The boy scanned the garden, immediately noticing the ladder that now lay across the grass.

Reiji weighed his options, knowing he didn't have time to waste. He could go after her, but there was no telling what direction she could have gone. That, and should he catch her in a public area, someone may try to intervene.

The boy took a moment to collect himself, taking in a deep breath. When he thought about it, he was actually impressed by (Y/N)'s cunning. Not that it wouldn't go unpunished. He re-entered the home, a plan already formulating in his mind. Reiji ascended the stairs, hearing a loud 'dammit!' coming from (Y/N)'s room. He walked in, seeing a distraught Takeo clench his fists, looking down at a seemingly passed-out Shiro. Takeo stormed over to Reiji, grabbing him harshly by the collar of his shirt.

"What the hell, Reiji?! I thought you said there was no way to escape!"

Reiji smirked, his typical demeanor returning, showing no signs of the anxiety he felt moments ago. He placed a hand over Takeo's, trying to prevent his shirt from stretching.

"This is just some room for improvement, nothing to worry about."

The anger in Takeo's amber eyes intensified.

"How the fuck are you so calm?"

At this point, both Ryu and Haruki entered the doorway, appearing to have just woken up from the commotion. However, their eyes widened as they realized (Y/N)'s absence and saw Shiro lying on the ground.

"What's going on? Where's (Y/N)? What happened to Shiro?" Haruki asked frantically, running over to check on his friend, who finally began stirring.

Ryu stood next to Takeo, giving Reiji a deadly glare.

"Did you do this?"

"Of course not, you idiot. I would never let her slip away like this." Reiji rolled his eyes at the redhead, his shirt still grasped tightly by Takeo.

Shiro now seemed fully awake, rubbing the side of his head as he sat on the soft carpet, looking confused.

Everyone looked pissed off, worried, disoriented, or a mix of all three. Sensing the tension, Reiji intervened before anyone could argue any further.

"Let's focus on what's important right now. (Y/N) somehow managed to escape through unforeseen mechanisms." He glanced over at Shiro, who now sat in shame, "What we need to do now is to come together as a group to solve this swiftly before she can get very far."

Takeo, seeing the reason in Reiji's words, finally dropped the blonde's shirt.

"So, what bright ideas do you have?" The ravenette's tone was still aggressive, not fully trusting Reiji.

The other boys also waited impatiently for an answer.

"Simple. She went through the backyard, but that doesn't necessarily mean she went in that direction. She could have circled around for all we know to throw us off. Before we waste more time, Ryu, I want you to get on your bike and search the neighborhood. Her house is also possible, and even though it's unlikely she went there, go check it out once you finish here. You have to go now."

The redhead quickly complied, caring more about getting (Y/N) back than trying to argue with Reiji.

"Takeo, I also want you to search the neighborhood that borders the woods behind us. If she went in that direction, it's where she should end up."

Takeo stood there for a second, seeming as though he was going to argue with Reiji's plan, but much like Ryu, he gave up any opposition for the sake of finding (Y/N). He, too, exited the room.

Finally, Haruki chimed in.

"What if they can't find her? What if she found someone to help her?" The boy was quickly being overtaken by anxiety. He looked down at his shaking hands.

Reiji contemplated the questions, taking a few moments to figure out what to do. It was impossible for her to have enlisted the help of anyone outside the house prior to her escape without any access to communication. He also doubted that she would have gone to anyone she knew, not wanting to endanger them. (Y/N) would likely have relied on the kindness of strangers. All of that being considered, the only logical place for her to go would be the police station. There was no doubt she thought there would be enough evidence to convict them or, at the very least, temporarily be in a safe environment.

Not answering Haruki's questions, Reiji left the room and returned to his own. He began searching for the nearest police station, which wasn't far away at all. Then, he began his own work, creating the necessary documents to ensure (Y/N)'s recapture.

Haruki, still wanting answers, followed him.

"What are you planning? Are we going to get (Y/N) back?"

Reiji glanced up for a second, taking the time to adjust his glasses.

"If all goes right, yes."

"And if you're wrong?"

"..."