Chapter 12 - Partner

(Y/N) narrowed her eyes as she stared at the blonde male across from her. She looked away and let out a huff of annoyance. She had no idea how she had put into such an awful situation.

She thought back to yesterday when her English teacher had assigned the class a project, and just when the second week had started. Ms. Kurosawa had partnered the class up randomly, and (Y/N) had somehow been assigned to work with the boy she sat across from, Reiji. She didn't know whether her teacher thought she was a tolerable person, or just plain dumb.

What made (Y/N) even more distressed was the fact that she had to spend her lunchtime working on the project in some empty classroom.

"You know, Ms. Kurosawa only assigned us this project yesterday, right? It's not due for another week." (Y/N) inquired, but was met with no response. "We could just work on it at home separately."

Reiji looked up from his laptop, "What is the problem with doing it right now? Plus, how exactly are we supposed to communicate specific details when we're working on it separately? Especially once we start on the poster and the mini-essay." Reiji irritatingly fired back at the girl.

(Y/N) just sat there for a moment and then responded quietly, "I️ don't know."

"Well obviously," Reiji said rolling his eyes. "If we keep wasting our time we'll have to end up working on it outside of school." Even though tone seemed to dislike the idea, his facial features looked as though he didn't mind the prospect.

(Y/N) immediately perked up, "Then let's get cracking!" (Y/N) began furiously typing away on her computer.

"If you keep working too fast like that we'll have to spend even more time just reviewing and revising, and I'll end up doing all the work," Reiji commented once he noticed that the work (Y/N) was typing was hardly going to be accurate or even readable.

(Y/N) immediately slowed her pace, "Yeah, whatever, Mr. Know-It-All." She pouted.

Both teens worked for silently about another 15 minutes, discluding the occasional question (Y/N) would ask. (Y/N) had done what she had thought was adequate for the day, and closed her computer.

Well, more like she had gotten to a rough spot and decided the effort wasn't currently necessary.
She took out some other homework and started doing that instead.

After a few minutes, Reiji noticed that the girl across from him was not working and saw her deeply interested in her book.

"Ahem." Reiji cleared his throat as to get the girl's attention but to no avail. "AHEM." Reiji cleared his throat as loud as he possibly could, and the girl finally looked over at him.

"You good? It sounds like your choking." (Y/N) replied to the boy's hacking with a small shake of her head and returned to her work.

Reiji leered at her, "Shouldn't you be working?" He was given a shrug in reply, and he gave a distasteful frown.

"We have all week in class to work on it, we'll be fine. We've already started on it, and I'm sure she'll also give us some tips and suggestions in class." (Y/N) responded before she could remember how cruel her teacher really was, but just shrugged it off.

"Well I️ don't know about you, but I'm not getting a bad grade just because my partner was too lazy to do anything and I couldn't work because I spent the whole time lecturing her." Reiji angrily spat out.

"You really need to chill out about school."

Reiji clenched his jaw, but he knew it wouldn't be at all helpful to anyone if he started yelling, "Fine, but we'll just have to spend more time together." He said in a strenuous voice, trying his best to stay calm.

(Y/N) thought over the idea, and set down her book. She opened her computer lazily and began working on the rough draft.

Reiji narrowed his eyes at the girl, and when she looked up and their eyes met, (Y/N) gave him a confused look.

"What is it?"

"Why would it be so awful if we spent more time together?" Reiji inquired quickly, keeping a steady expression.

(Y/N) stared at the boy dead in the eyes, giving him a challenging gaze.

"No offense, but you're not the easiest person to work with, and unfortunately for you, I'm not just going to sit here and let you torment me. Also why the hell do you care? You seem just as easily pestered by me."

Reiji's eyes narrowed, but on the inside, he actually taken aback by what (Y/N) had just said. It wasn't often that someone would speak their mind to him.

Things were quiet again for the remainder of the duo's time together. Reiji and (Y/N) would occasionally lock eyes, but only for (Y/N) to quickly focus back on her work and try to ignore the teen sitting across from her.

After a couple of minutes of this somewhat stalemate, the bell finally rang, and the girl gave a sigh of relief.

Reiji and (Y/N) began packing up their things, though the latter at a slightly speedier pace. (Y/N) rose from her seat and walked towards the door, but as she neared the frame, she stopped and turned to the boy.

"Hey, just so that this isn't awkward for forever, I'm sorry if I was too harsh. Let's just try to be nice." (Y/N) said with a small smile before making her exit.

As soon as she left, Reiji grinned to himself in an almost crazed manner. He didn't know how to explain it himself, but the girl's words had struck a chord in him that even he was unaware of.