Chapter 20 - Enemy

As (Y/N) walked away from Yukio, she felt extremely embarrassed and a bit frustrated as her face held both a blush and a scowl. She could already imagine all of the things that people were going to say about her. (Y/N) especially worried about Ayako, who she hoped wouldn't hear from some random person about what had just occurred. She quickened her pace slightly so that she could find her friends a bit sooner. Not only that, but the action itself felt fairly intimate, and her suspicions of the boys liking her grew. Even though she tried her best to shake those feelings off, she couldn't help but feel happy that she was able to be friends with them. In a strange way, she wished slightly that they did like her, even if she couldn't return those feelings, because it felt good to have caught the eye of such interesting boys.

Once (Y/N) exited the lunchroom, she was surprised to find Ayako and Itsumi right near the entrance. Ayako leaned against the wall while Itsumi played with some strands of her blonde hair. (Y/N) walked over to them, thankful that she had been able to find them so quickly. They also seemed to be waiting for her, so she was hoping that it meant that they hadn't lost faith in her. This hope caused the girl to forget what had just occurred, and a bright smiled appeared on her face.

"Hey, guys!" (Y/N) greeted cheerfully, happy to know that nothing was wrong.

Her two friends looked up at her with blank expressions on their faces. Of course, (Y/N) would need to explain herself.

"Sorry for missing lunch with you guys without notice! It's a long story but it all started out-" (Y/N) tried to tell her friends what happened, but she was cut off.

"No one gives a fuck, (Y/N)." Ayako interrupted the (H/C)-haired girl, with a tone so venomous that (Y/N) hardly even recognized that it was Ayako talking.

(Y/N) looked around, noticing the stares that the group was receiving from others in the hallway.

"Let's talk about this in the bathroom." (Y/N) suggested, feeling like this conversation might take a while.

Ayako reluctantly agreed, and the three girls headed to a bathroom around the corner that almost no one used.

(Y/N) continued the conversation. "Look I know that you guys don't like it when I go off without notice, but you're being a bit much, Ayako." (Y/N) said lightheartedly, trying her best to keep the situation from escalating.

"I don't care if you hang out with them, (Y/N), it's how you hang out with them," Ayako stated angrily, clearly infuriated with the girl in front of her.

(Y/N) was confused by the comment, but she turned her attention over to the other girl. (Y/N) looked over at Itsumi, who had so far been silent, an unreadable expression on her face.

"You don't have anything to say, Itsumi?" (Y/N) asked, hoping that she too would think that Ayako was overreacting.

Itsumi remained quiet before opening her mouth to break her silence.

"You broke my trust, (Y/N)." Itsumi said quietly, and it looked like she was on the brink of tears. "I told you I liked Yukio, but you clearly haven't taken any of that into consideration." Itsumi elaborated, clearly hurt.

(Y/N)'s face held a shocked expression. She hadn't at all expected the conversation to be about that.

"Itsumi, let me expla-"

(Y/N) was once again cut off by Ayako.

"What the hell, Itsumi?! You told (Y/N) that you liked Yukio but not me?" Ayako nearly yelled at the blonde girl, causing the latter to flinch slightly. "You could tell I liked him, too!" Ayako raised her tone once more, now mad at both girls.