Chapter 28 - Deadly

"Is everything alright, (Y/N)?"

Keshi and (Y/N) we're finally far enough away, although still in a fairly deserted area of the building. (Y/N) stopped walking, although she held onto the coal-haired boy's hand. She had yet to respond to his question, avoiding eye contact.

Keshi felt concerned for the girl, he didn't know everything that just happened, but he knew enough about those boys to know that (Y/N) didn't feel safe around them. The girl took a long inhale, preparing herself to answer.

"I know I just acted all tough back there, and I don't want to admit this, but I'm scared, Keshi. I'm fucking scared." (Y/N) confessed, looking into Keshi's blue eyes with fear quickly filling her own. "There are six of them. Six. I can barely handle one at a time, and all of them want me to stay with them? Not to mention that they could probably weasel their way out of any legal situation with the money they have access to." The (H/C)-haired girl could no longer hold back as she felt a slight panic attack coming on.

Keshi didn't know what to do. (Y/N) already had so much going on in her life with her friends, and this situation itself was too much for her to handle. So, he did the only thing he could think of to comfort her. He pulled her into a hug, and unlike Ryu's unwelcome embrace, (Y/N) gladly accepted it, allowing herself to focus on the sensation of Keshi's gentle arms. She was pleasantly shocked by his action, trying to fully take it in.

"It's okay, (Y/N), I'll be there for you," Keshi assured comfortingly, rubbing her back slightly.

(Y/N) looked up in an appreciation for his actions, her (E/C)-orbs and his cerulean ones meeting. Her heart started to beat rapidly in her chest, though she couldn't decipher whether it was from fear or her feelings for the boy.

But, before anything else transpired, the intercom turned on and announced;

"A-All students report to the auditorium for an emergency assembly." A rather shaky version of the principal's voice was heard throughout the halls of the school.

The two teens looked bewilderingly at each other before heading in the direction of said part of the building. (Y/N) felt a knot growing in her stomach and had an ominous feeling that something bad was about to happen.

* * *

In the auditorium, which was now almost completely packed with confused students, (Y/N) was unfortunate enough to catch the glances of all six boys in addition Ayako, Itsumi, Kimi, and her whole gang. She saw Shiro give her a small wave, but she quickly turned her back on him, sitting down with Keshi. The whole auditorium was abuzz, speculating what the whole situation could possibly be about. After a few more moments, the principal, a straight-laced woman with bobbed blonde hair, strode up to a podium that had been set up. Although she still held her confident aura, she seemed to have been shaken by what she was about to announce.

Everyone quickly hushed when she finally stood before them, anticipating what she was about to say next. The tall woman waited a few moments before announcing what she had to say, glancing awkwardly at the ground as her weight shifted from one heel to the other.

"I-I'm not sure exactly how t-to tell you all this..." her voice slightly quivered, "one of our fine, young students was found dead on school grounds about ten minutes ago." Before the principal could continue, the room was once again filled with chatter from the students, now shocked at the news. (Y/N) herself didn't know what to think of the situation. "Please quiet down and let me finish." The principal almost begged, clearly wanting to end the discussion. "The young man found was Kei Young, and I share my condolences to all that knew him. I'm sure that you are all shaken by this matter, and seeing as how his body was found on school grounds, and considering that we don't know exactly what happened, school will have to be postponed until further notice." The principal notified the students, though no one said anything.

She continued to elaborate on what would happen, but (Y/N) stopped paying attention. Kei Young... Kei Young... she knew that name. She was sure that she had had a class with him. An image popped into her head from earlier. She did know him! He was with... them... on the roof. Of course they had something to do with it. (Y/N) could barely comprehend what was going on. Would they really go that far? Was it just a coincidence? She trembled slightly.

Slowly, fearfully, she turned her head in their direction. Her eyes met all six of theirs. Reiji mouthed to her: 'I told you so.' She whipped her head back to the front, shaking even more now. Keshi noticed her behavior and leaned in, whispering worryingly into her ear;

"Are you okay?"

The girl answered with a strong shake of her head. Keshi understood, taking her hand in his own, trying to comfort her.

Before (Y/N) could figure out what to do, the assembly was adjourned.

"(Y/N), do you want me to drive you home?" Keshi asked sweetly, concerned for his friend's state of mind.

(Y/N) nodded in reply, still at a loss for words.

"Okay, let's go."

The drive home felt long and quiet, neither Keshi nor (Y/N) knowing what to say. When they finally arrived at their destination, (Y/N) didn't move. She still didn't feel safe, even in her own home.

"(Y/N), I know this is awkward to ask, but do you want to stay somewhere else tonight?" Keshi offered to (Y/N), a light blush dusting his cheeks.

She wanted to say yes, she wanted to... but she couldn't put him in danger like that.

"I'll be fine, I can stay with my neighbors for the night." (Y/N) replied, giving him a small, comforting smile, her eyes still filled with anxiety.

"Please let me know if you need anything, but I understand if you need a couple of days to yourself." Keshi declared, taking (Y/N)'s hand once again and giving it a light squeeze.

She squeezed his hand back before giving her thanks and exiting the vehicle. She entered her house, watching Keshi's car through the window as he drove off before dropping all of her things. Her heart felt heavy, her mind riddled with worry. Before she could think of much else, the girl quickly exited her house and made her way next door to her neighbors. They were a fairly young couple, and the teen had a close enough connection with them.

(Y/N) knocked twice on the door, but received no answer. 'They must be at work.' She thought to herself. She didn't have either of their phone numbers, and she didn't know when they would be coming home. She made her way back to her house, but soon returned moments later with a notepad and pencil. (Y/N) left a note on their front door, informing them that she needed a favor but was unaware of when they would return. She hoped that would do because she didn't have many other options.

The hours passed by slowly, and the girl waited anxiously for her neighbors to return and let her know if she could stay the night. She didn't want to put Keshi in the way of the boys, and she had a feeling that they already weren't too keen on her friendship with said boy. Right after the sun had gone down, (Y/N) decided that she might as well go on over once more in case her neighbors hadn't seen the note yet, especially since it was starting to get late. Just as she was about to get up from her seat on the couch, she heard the doorbell ring. Relief rushed through her body like a river, and she was happy that she could finally figure out somewhere to stay that night. She set her phone on the couch, walking towards the front of the house. The teen hastily opened the door, ready to welcome her neighbors.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" A cheery voice greeted.