Chapter 4 - Tsundere

(Y/N) walked into class a little early. She was fortunately not slowed much by Kimi and her friends, and her next class was right down the hall from her science class.

"Hello there! Good morning!" A woman that looked to be in her 60s greeted (Y/N), giving an almost forcefully cheerful grin.

"Hello." (Y/N) replied quietly.

"You can look at the board to see where you'll be sitting." The teacher directed the students as she pointed to the board at the front of the class.

The desks were placed in pairs, a lot like in science, though these were separate desks and not a single table seating two people. (Y/N) walked to the front of the class and quickly scanned the board for her name. She was in the back, again, and placed next to some kid named Takeo Nagata. She walked towards her seat and placed her things beside her chair. There was a handful of students that had sat down, and others continued to flood in.

(Y/N) just rested her head on her desk, seeing if maybe she could possibly regain some of her energy that she had lost throughout the already eventful day. She stayed in that position for a minute before she felt movement next to her, and she shifted her head slightly to see what was going on. The movement appeared to be coming from the Takeo she was supposed to sit next to. He had jet black hair and mahogany eyes that gave off a pestered aura, not to mention sharp features that could make any woman swoon.

"What are you looking at?" Takeo spat out at (Y/N).

"That is a great way to greet somebody you just met, thanks." (Y/N) was already over this boy as she turned her head back to its original position. "I'm (Y/N."

"Whatever, like I'd care about someone as annoying as you." Takeo set his bag down, an even more irked expression settling onto his face.

"Annoying? You just met me, aren't you jumping to conclusions?" (Y/N)'s voice a bit angered as she couldn't help but look confused at the boy's statement.

"You ask a lot of questions, that's annoying," Takeo replied simply, narrowing his eyes at the girl.

(Y/N) huffed, already frustrated with this boy she would have to sit next to.

The late bell rang and the teacher took no time standing in front of the class, ready to introduce herself.

"Hello, my name is Mrs. Hirabayashi! I am your history teacher, and if you couldn't tell, history is my favorite subject." Mrs. Hirabayashi introduced herself with overenthusiastic glee, but she was met with bored and tired eyes. "This will be my 29th year teaching, so I've been teaching longer than you all have been alive!" She exclaimed, clasping her hands together. She looked around the room and gave her biggest smile yet. "Now I can see that you guys aren't the most energetic, and history isn't the most fun, so let's see if we can play a game! Maybe after we'll go over some school stuff." Mrs. Hirabayashi declared to the entire class.

Most everybody perked up a bit, including (Y/N), but not so much Takeo. The teacher continued to smile and picked up a ball that was sitting on her desk.

"So how this is going to go is everyone will spread out to form a circle, and someone will throw the ball to someone else and call out that person's name. The goal is to get to everybody, so don't throw to somebody who's already been called. Now if the ball drops, we start over with the person who first threw the ball. This is a great way for you all, and myself, to learn everybody's names. And this is how I'll take attendance for today because I'm a bit lazy." Mrs. Hirabayashi finished, everyone giggling a bit at her humorous demeanor.

Everyone moved to a different area of the classroom in order to form the best circle they could, and Mrs. Hirabayashi tossed the ball to a boy that (Y/N) knew to be named Kiyoshi.

"Akihiko," Kiyoshi called out and threw the ball to another boy across the room.

"Saburo." The ball was tossed to another male.

"Kano." The ball was now thrown at a girl.

"Leiko." The ball was thrown to another girl who dropped it, and everyone groaned a little.

"Akihiko."

"Saburo."

"Kano."

"Leiko."

The ball was thrown to new people and the pattern continued on, with the ball dropping occasionally, and everyone groaned when they had to restart. (Y/N) began spacing out; as she doubted she would be called anytime soon. That was until she was hit in the face with the ball.

"What?! Oh sorry!" (Y/N) said while everyone rolled their eyes at her in annoyance.

The ball went back to Akihiko. (Y/N) now paid close attention. She hadn't seen who had thrown the ball at her, and no one had apologized for hitting her in the face, so she wondered who would throw it to her. She hardly knew anyone that well in the class, and with her spacing out, she doubted anyone had wanted to take the risk of throwing it at her.

The ball had gotten pretty far along, and (Y/N) wondered if the ball would be thrown to her yet. After a few more tosses, there were still a couple of people left who hadn't received the ball.

"Naoko." The ball was thrown to a boy close to her. "Takeo." The ball was thrown back across the room over the black-haired teen.

"(Y/N)." The girl caught the ball, slightly intrigued by the fact that Takeo had thrown it to her out of all people.

"Throw the ball!" Shouted some people in the class, and (Y/N) was brought out of her train of thought.

"Chiyoko."  (Y/N) threw the ball to one of the people who hadn't received the ball yet, but the girl dropped it.

Again, people groaned in annoyance, and the ball was thrown from the beginning. Once again the ball was thrown to Takeo, and then to (Y/N).

So did he try to hit me in the face or did he actually want to throw it at me? Maybe he doesn't hate me? He is so hard to understand.'  (Y/N) was trying to make sense of everything, kind of overthinking, trying to figure out the odd boy.

The ball had made its way back to Kiyoshi, and Mrs. Hirabayashi clapped her hands and stood up.

"Ok, now that we've finished, you can all return to your desks, and I will pass out some forms and give some info on the rest of the school year." She walked back to her desk, grabbing a large stack of forms that would no doubt have to be signed.

Everyone returned to their seats. Mrs. Hirabiyashi eventually finished going over everything, leaving a couple of minutes to chat.

(Y/N) decided she'd make some small talk with Takeo. Maybe she'd find out what was going through his head.

"Hey, Takeo, you just moved here, right?"

"No shit."

(Y/N) rolled her eyes at his response, but she reminded herself to keep a cool head.

"Okay, I just want you to know that if you want to be friends that's cool. If not, also cool." (Y/N) offered to the boy, even though she had a feeling he would probably just get mad at her for something.

The boy didn't respond for a moment, but he seemed a little less aggressive from his normal aura.

"... Well if you really want I guess." Takeo looked away like an embarrassed child, probably not expecting the girl he had been so rude towards to want to be friends.

"Great! Not gonna lie I thought you seemed a little standoffish at first." (Y/N) lightly chuckled, a bit relieved that Takeo was starting to open up a bit.

Takeo blushed a little bit, but he just responded with a quiet 'yeah, that's the point,' and then faced her suddenly.

"Also what's wrong with the other girls at this school?" The raven boy asked, looking genuinely puzzled.

(Y/N) chuckled, "I have no idea. Bitches be crazy."

"Okay, but don't act like you're so different." Takeo rolled his eyes, reverting back to his brooding mood.

'What a tsundere.'