Chapter 34 - Safety

(Y/N) sat anxiously in the passenger's seat. It had only been a minute or so since pulling out of the neighborhood, and a strong fear started to set in that someone might be following her. She kept shifting her attention from the cars ahead of her to the side mirror, trying to see if anything looked abnormal. The girl could sense the glances coming from the woman next to her, not that she could really blame her. (Y/N) didn't know if she should say anything. She felt bad for putting this poor lady through all of the trouble, especially so late at night.

"Thank you again. You really don't know how much this means to me."

The woman stayed silent, only giving a slight nod. Her bushy brown hair covered her face from (Y/N)'s perspective, making it hard to tell what exactly she might be thinking. (Y/N) didn't say anything else, not wanting to push her luck or make the woman uncomfortable. The girl bounced her leg, turning her attention back to the road.

"If... you don't mind me asking." (Y/N) was surprised to hear the woman speak, her voice timid. "What happened? All you said was that you needed to go to a police station."

(Y/N) could tell the woman was curious, probably suspicious as well. After all, (Y/N) was unharmed and hadn't given much information about her situation. She thought about how exactly to explain what happened, settling on the short version.

"Someone, well... some people tried to kidnap me."

"Just now? You seem a little jittery, but not too upset."

The woman was right. Maybe it was just the adrenaline still in her system after escaping the house, but there were no tears, no anything. (Y/N) worried that she was feeling relieved too soon. After all, they hadn't made it to the station just yet.

"I'm not really sure of that. I think... it might be because I know them. I don't think I fully accept the danger I'm in. I just know I should get out of it."

The woman nodded in response, not saying anything else. (Y/N) half-expected some form of 'I'm so sorry' or 'that sounds awful,' but honestly, she didn't want pity from a stranger. She doubted anyone would ever understand what had happened to her.

The woman rounded a corner, finally entering the police station's parking lot and stopping in front of the building. (Y/N) turned to the woman, the reality finally hitting her. Fear slithered its way through every part of her body, her hair prickling. Had this woman not had the goodness in her heart to take (Y/N), a seemingly crazy person who ran in front of a car, who knows what would have happened?

"Thank you. Is there a way I could repay you? I'm so sorry I don't have anything on me right now. I could figure something out, I swear."

The woman actually chuckled a bit, looking back at (Y/N) with a surprisingly soft expression.

"Please don't worry about it. I just hope everything works out."

(Y/N) nodded, opening the car door. She watched as the woman drove off, presumably back to her normal life. The girl hoped that after this, she, too, could return to her normal. (Y/N) turned towards the building, walking to the entrance. Anxiety ate at her more and more with every step, and she did not know what exactly she should do. At the very least, (Y/N) knew she would be protected here until she worked something else out. I mean, there's no way that those boys could take her by force from a police station.

She pushed open the double doors, thanking God that these places had people working the night shift. (Y/N) walked up to the front desk, seeing a more than tired-looking middle-aged woman manning it. The lady's eyes slowly drifted up to (Y/N) form, seeming already done with the interaction before it even started.

"E-Excuse me, ma'am, I need to report a crime. O-One that's been committed against me." The girl could barely find it in herself to utter the right words. She wasn't even sure now that the cops would hear her out.