Chapter 14 - Faults

(Y/N) sighed for about the hundredth time that week. She and Reiji had been working on the project non-stop every lunch in order to, in Reiji's words, 'make sure that nothing could possibly be messed up.' This was of course directed towards (Y/N), but she knew it better than to argue with him. The only good thing that had come out of working with Reiji every single day was the fact that she and Saburo had become better friends, seeing as how they would always run into each other on their way to music theory. He had even become quick friends with Masato and Ayako.

She now sat in science, next to the flirt king himself. It was true that he had toned down a little bit since the two had been sitting next to each other, but that day he seemed especially flirtatious. Yukio was almost constantly "complimenting" and saying other things to (Y/N). She had gotten used to the occasional pickup line now and then, but she was beginning to lose her temper. Ever since that first day, Kimi and most of her friends in science would give her dirty looks whenever Yukio so much as glanced her way. It might have been that they were jealous because Yukio hadn't really talked to them in class after that first day.

Now, with Yukio talking to her almost nonstop, Kimi and her possie in the class were just about to burst. Now (Y/N) thought that things would get a little bit better and things might settle down a tad, but as had been happening as of late, her luck took a turn for the worse.

Her teacher had decided so generously to let students work together in pairs and pick their partners. And while (Y/N) was hoping she could get away from the flirty boy and let one of the other girls work with him, once the teacher had finished talking, Yukio immediately grappled onto her arm and practically yelled, "(Y/N) and I will work together!" And her face automatically fell when she saw the looks she was getting from the other girls in the class.

It's not that she didn't like Yukio, she might have even considered him a friend, it was just that he couldn't seem to realize that he was making her life a bit harder than it needed to be. She didn't have to have everyone like her, but (Y/N) didn't want almost half the class to hate her guts. Like she had experienced before, bullying and harassment wasn't such an uncommon thing at that school.

So there she sat, waiting for Yukio to grab the sheet they were supposed to be working on from the teacher. While he was up, Kimi just happened to pass by (Y/N)'s desk and give her a little scoff. (Y/N) returned the gesture with a roll of her eyes, but she did try to make it slightly less noticeable so that Kimi was not made more upset. (Y/N) could not believe that this was happening to her. Even though Yukio was being the flirtatious one, (Y/N) was positive that the narrative was being flipped to make her seem like a whore, which in itself was a ridiculous notion.

Yukio returned to the table, wearing his brightest smile yet. He never seemed to take note of how the other girls treated her, and it's not that (Y/N) wanted him to do something about it, she just hoped that after seeing that he might back down a little bit.

He immediately started talking, but after a while, he realized that (Y/N) was not responding at all.

"Hello?! Earth to (Y/N)!" He exclaimed loudly in her ear, and she flinched from the unexpected noise.

She turned towards Yukio, who now wore a softened expression.

"Hey, you alright?" He asked with concern in his voice, and at first, (Y/N) didn't know if he was pranking her or not.

But after a few moments of silence, she could tell he was serious and spoke up, "Yeah, sorry. I'm just spacing out a bit because I️ got hardly any sleep last night." She played it off coolly, not really wanting to let Yukio know that he was, in fact, the reason she was so distracted.

Yukio gave an unsure look, but he discarded any thought of questioning (Y/N) further.

"Okay, then let's start working on this worksheet, doll!" Yukio exclaimed optimistically, his eyes gleaming with joy.