II.II. The Eden Initiative

Hoseok keeps one hand resting on your lap as he calmly drives the car out of town, keeping his fingers entwined with yours while he uses the other hand to expertly control the wheel. The touch and connection are meant to calm you down, as if he could easily sense just how restless you have been feeling about taking this trip home to your family, though you honestly doubt that he actually knows the reason why.

You finally have your answer when Hoseok takes a quick glance your way at some point in the drive to ask, "Why are you the one getting all nervous? You're not the one getting married this weekend."

Hoseok seems cautious, despite his reassuring smile, and you can see the curiosity showing in his eyes. You can't really blame him for it, or to feel worried about your odd mood. He was right, after all. If there is someone who should be feeling on the edge this weekend, then it should have been your older sister. Since it would be her wedding, and not yours.

Thinking about your sister only makes you smile.

It had taken two years after she was officially engaged for this wedding to finally happen. It was all because they had both decided to prioritise building their careers first—with Seokjin, her fiancé, having to finish his final residency period before going forward to start the next step of his journey to becoming an oncologist, while Soyeon took some extra classes in nursing school to study herbal treatments for cancer patients, hoping that this new knowledge would be useful to support her future husband once he makes it through.

Their journey hasn't been an easy one. But it is clear that going through all the challenges thrown at them together has only made them stronger, both as individuals and as a couple.

Thinking about their relationship always makes you reflect on your own. Witnessing their bond growing stronger over the past two years has given you more faith in building your own relationship, allowing you to always open up to Hoseok and to build equal trust, everything that has become the reason why you are here with him today.

You cannot deny the fact that witnessing your sister taking another step into her future might be one of the reasons why you have been quite enthusiastic and nervous at the same time. But at the same time, you have to admit that there is another possible reason why you have been on the edge about coming back home. And it is not simply about the upcoming wedding.

"Does it really show? Am I looking nervous?"

Your question brings a smile to Hoseok's face. "You've been tense. I know that you've been trying to hide it, but I can feel it coming from you whenever you're awfully quiet. Is it because of me? Are you nervous about showing me around to your family?" he says, wondering out loud. "Come to think of it, you've never been this nervous about me coming home with you. Not even when you first introduced me to your parents."

He does make a good point, you wonder to yourself.

Instead of answering him, you simply take a moment to have a good look at Hoseok. You study closely the sidelines of his face and his calm, yet often bright facial expression that you have come to adore. The intense focus that he has as he continues to drive in silence, the sharp jawline that you had always loved to trace either with your fingers or with your lips, and the small smile that he puts on his face as he waits for your answer. Everything about him and being with him has felt so right, and you begin to question why you are feeling this tense simply for bringing him home to meet your family.