VIII - 6 Years Ago: Penance

Once summer vacation was over, your whole body was filled with pure bliss. Even your heart and soul were humming and you felt more alive.

You had ended up spending the entire vacation with Hoseok, enjoying the town, the beaches, bar hopping, hooking up—okay, not just a hookup, because it had ended up to be filled with tons and tons of sex and hot making out in between whenever you needed to give some time for your body to rest. You had decided to move to Hoseok's hotel room during the final week of your stay since you practically spent almost every night there.

By the time you were back on campus, once you have noticed that the sparks between you and Hoseok were still present even when you were no longer in paradise, you both instantly decided to become exclusive and you were going to officially start dating. Just as you had thought, Hoseok was a sweetheart. He was everything you had ever wished to find in a person who could sweep you off of your feet. He was attentive, sweet, funny, and the whole package which he had shown you during the vacation was all real.

The blissful new beginning you were having with Hoseok made everything that had happened between you and Hana slipped right out of your mind. The moment you were reminded of your best friend, you had pulled out your phone to contact her. Until you remembered how the day you left had ended and how angry you still were at her.

Admittedly, going on to that vacation had led you to find Hoseok and allowed you to let loose for a while. But it made the rift between you and your friend grew more intense. You hated not talking to her, yet you hated it even more when you had to be the one making amends first when she was the one being unreasonable.

So you decided to wait. You figured if she did get what she wanted and her plan worked out, she might still be enjoying her time with her crush just the way you were enjoying your new relationship with Hoseok.

In the end, Hana was the one who reached out to your first, asking you to meet up after a few weeks of silence.

Her voice never gave away what she was thinking of planning, but you had agreed to see her so you could talk, and perhaps introduced her to your new boyfriend if the mood was right. She finally set things up to see you at a small cafe right outside of the campus after a long week of piling assignments. Arriving on your own with Hoseok still on the way to meet you there later, you found her already waiting in one of the booths. You had no idea what you had expected to find, but it certainly was not this.

Hana was sitting alone, her eyes downcast while her hand was stirring on her coffee absentmindedly. Her eyes looked tired, and terribly broken, and no matter how angry you were when you parted ways, it tugged your heart to think that her plan didn't quite work out.

"Hey," you gently called out to her, stopping right beside the booth instead of slipping in. You knew this look on her well enough to know that startling her would not be the best thing for you to do.