II.VIII. Intermission

PRESENT

PRESENT

You left the cemetery ground with a mix of emotions latching onto you. And yet, at the same time, you felt slightly relieved. There was something about the conversation that you had with Hana's mother that helped clear your thoughts. You may still have doubts lingering, however, taking their time to wane, and you obviously still feel guilty for having your past memories about your dear friend removed.

But most of all, you still feel guilty for doing such a hurtful thing to Hoseok.

As you were putting all the pieces together, your mind kept travelling back in time, once again trying to find anything from the past two years that you might have missed, to find all the signs and the hidden clues that you may have overlooked. You recall every single conversation that you shared, picking them apart piece by piece until you could find all the little things that seemed out of place, the things that you had never thought would matter, everything that had made you wonder but now suddenly seems to make more sense.

Oh, yes. They do make more sense now.

The peculiar sense of familiarity that you have always felt with Hoseok, the odd occurrences of deja-vu and the haunting dreams that would come to you at night, and the way everything had seemed so easy and so right when you were with him.

How did you not see it?

"So...Did you find what you were looking for?"

You look up at Hoseok as he questions this. Standing right across from you, he has his back pressed against the wall, a stance which he has chosen to allow himself to give you the space that you needed. Even if he cannot touch you to offer you comfort, his smile still offers you the solace and support that he seems to know you desperately need at this moment.

Just as expected, he was terribly worried when he found your side of the bed empty, and it had gotten even worse when he couldn't find his car keys. While your note helped him to figure out where you were, the message you had written on it did little to ease his mind that he remained restless until you finally came back to the lodging.

He had welcomed you at the main entrance when you returned, offering you a genuine smile—which didn't do much to cover the worried look on his face—and a warm hug which he gave you once he noticed you were shivering even under your coat. He didn't start bombarding you with questions, no matter how curious he obviously was. He merely pulled you back into the lodging, intending to take you towards the breakfast buffet so he could get you some fresh coffee to warm up with.

But the moment you saw his patient smile, and when the gentle hold he gave on your frozen hand sent warmth all the way into your heart, all the stress and exhaustion you kept inside finally caught up to you. It made you feel powerless, unable to withstand the weight that you had to carry with you, and your body simply gave up from carrying on.